Claiming Exemptions—the W-4 for Dummies

February 1, 2013 by
Filed under: Withholding 

w4 for dummies


I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how many exemptions to claim on the W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) form that you give to your employer.  People look at the whole 2 page form and get intimidated.  For most people—you should just ignore the rest and concentrate on the little part at the bottom of page one.  That’s the part in this screen shot up above.   It will make your life a whole lot easier.


First, some questions:


I claimed the wrong number of exemptions on my W-4 and now its tax time and I’m going to claim a different number of exemptions.  Will I get in trouble for this?

No you won’t.  Your employer doesn’t report you to the IRS for not claiming the right amount of allowances.  The worst that will happen is that you owe a lot at tax time or get a big refund.  (Actually I don’t think of getting a big refund as being a bad thing.  Probably shouldn’t call it a “worst case scenario.”)  Neither of those things are crimes.  It’s possible that the IRS could inform your employer to increase your withholding if the withholding on your W2 is not enough to cover your tax liability.  I have never seen that happen to anyone—but the IRS is allowed to do that if they think it’s necessary.


I don’t want any tax taken out of my paycheck.  Can I just claim EXEMPT?


No you can’t.  Exempt is only for people who will have no tax liability at all.  You might have gotten a refund last year, but it doesn’t mean you have no tax liability.  Generally, someone with no tax liability makes less than $5,950 for the entire year.    For most people, claiming EXEMPT is a really bad idea.


Okay, so what should I claim? Good question.  Here’s my suggestion list.  See what category fits your best.


You are a student, either in high school or in college.  You’re not married and you don’t have kids.  Your parents are allowed to claim you on their tax return (you’re under 24 years old.)  SINGLE, ZERO ALLOWANCES

You’ve got a job, only one job, you’re living on your own, and you’re single.  SINGLE, ONE ALLOWANCE

Now if you have a child, add another allowance for each child.  For example, let’s say you’re single with 2 kids, you’d claim single 3 allowances; one allowance for you and one for each of the children.


Single like above but you’re working two different jobs, SINGLE, ZERO ALLOWANCES – because the two jobs kick you into a higher tax bracket than the withholding would show.


You’re married and only one person works:  MARRIED, TWO ALLOWANCES

You’re married and you both work—you’ll each have your own W-4 and they will be different


Spouse #1 with higher paying job—claim MARRIED and all the allowances for the family



Now this is a pretty simplified guide, but it’s much easier to understand than what is on the form.  I also find that people are less likely to get into tax trouble with my rules than when you follow the allowances worksheet.


If you want a really good, accurate calculator to figure your proper withholding, the IRS has one on their website.  The problem is, as I’m posting this—the calculator is down.    You can use this guide for now and you can always tweak your withholding later when it’s back up.  Here’s the link:


230 Comments on Claiming Exemptions—the W-4 for Dummies

  1. Debbie on Mon, 4th Feb 2013 9:22 pm
  2. Hello, My husband recieved his w2 and we filed our taxes and get a small refund…. all good so far, this week he recieved another updated w2 with the missing allocated tips amount listed and the attached letter told us to file a amended 1040X. the problem is i can’t find where to put the allocated tips amount as in box 8. And how much of the file i need to fill out. Could you please expaine to me in lay mans terms :) where i am to adjust the amount? I filed e-file.
    Thank you

  3. sheena on Tue, 5th Feb 2013 9:06 am
  4. im a single mom work 2 jobs and attend school and i have 1 child.. i need my money through the year instead of at the end so how can i claim during the year to break even?

  5. Jan Roberg on Tue, 5th Feb 2013 9:03 pm
  6. Hi Debbie,
    If you are using computer software, if you input the whole W2–then it will be added into the rights spot automatically.
    If you are doing it by hand, you will add the amount in box 8 to the amount in box 1 for your wages.
    Does that help?

  7. Jan Roberg on Tue, 5th Feb 2013 9:19 pm
  8. Hi Sheena,
    You used to be able to get your EIC throughout the year, but the IRS cancelled that program. You can claim 2 exemptions (maybe even three) so that your weekly take home is a little better, but the best you’ll do is not having any federal withholding at all.

  9. SHELLSHELL MCLAUGHLIN on Tue, 19th Feb 2013 12:32 am

  11. Jan Roberg on Sun, 3rd Mar 2013 1:57 pm
  12. Hi Shell shell,
    I think you’re probably doing it right.

  13. Brooke on Thu, 7th Mar 2013 12:30 pm
  14. Great information! Thank you! My husband has 3 kids (to his ex-wife). How many he gets to claim rotates every other year. (He got to claim 2 this year…and one next year). I have two children from a prior relationship. Could you please advise how our W-4’s should look. As a side note…we both make about the same amount of money. Thank you again!

  15. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Mar 2013 5:00 pm
  16. Hi Brooke,
    The first thing is that because your incomes are about the same, you are probable in a higher tax bracket because of your combined incomes. Generally, one of you would claim all of the exemptions–which would be 5 most likely, and the other would claim zero.

    But if you want to be really accurate–use the IRS withholding calculator. Here’s the link:

    You’ll want your most recent pay stuff and you tax return. It’s a pretty cool tool. It works towards getting a zero refund. If you want a higher refund, claim fewer exemptions (which means less money in your paycheck.)

  17. Kristy on Wed, 15th May 2013 5:55 am
  18. Hi, I’m a college student working a part time job, I claimed either 0 or 1 on my w-4 when i started my job, but my mom told me i should have claimed exempt because i wont make enough money to have to pay taxes. I’ve had about $400 taken out in taxes so far, is there anyway i can get it back next year when taxes are due? or can i get it earlier?

  19. Simone on Thu, 15th Aug 2013 6:59 am
  20. Ive been working at my current job since June 2011. The job was initially a 6 week summer program (paid) for students. The HR rep told me to file exempt because it was only a summer job nd i wouldnt be making alot of money (made ~4,000 that summer). After that 6 weeks my employer decided to hire me as a If & when part time emoployee while i attended college. May of 2013 i recieved a raise and moved into a regular position (10.25 hr 48 hrs a week, during school, 80 hr a week during break). When i submitted my w4 for this year i still wrote exempt. Am i going to owe the IRS money????

  21. Morgan on Thu, 15th Aug 2013 7:15 pm
  22. I am an 18 year old girl with a daughter. I still live at home with my parents. I do not know the number of allowances to list on my IL W4. Can my parents still claim me?

  23. Jan Roberg on Thu, 15th Aug 2013 9:28 pm
  24. Hi Morgan,
    It may be possible for your parents to claim you as a dependent. The big question is–are you still in school? If yes, then your parents could still claim you. Or, they might claim your child. You’ve got a special situation. You’re going to want to work with your parents to come up with the best tax situation for the whole family.

    If your parents can claim you then they would also claim your daughter, in that case–I would claim 0 on your W4.

    If you’re going to be claiming yourself and your child on your taxes–you probably won’t have any tax liability at all and would not need to have any federal withholding.

    Sorry, I’m not really answering your question am I? Claim single and zero–I suspect that it will have you withholding more than you need, but if your parents wind up claiming you that will be perfect. If you wind up claiming yourself and your daughter, you should have a nice refund.

  25. Jan Roberg on Thu, 15th Aug 2013 9:43 pm
  26. Hi Simone,
    You need to change your withholding right away. My gut reaction is to switch to single with zero exemptions, but I think you’ll still need some additional withholding. You can go to the IRS website, they’ve got a special calculator you can use to figure out your withholding. Here’s a link:

    It’s so much easier chaning your withholding now than it is to owe a bunch of money come April 15th.

  27. Michael Siebert on Sat, 31st Aug 2013 12:06 pm
  28. Kristy,

    You will get the money back when you file your taxes in 2013.

    You could fill out another W-4 and hand it to your employer. That will stop the taxes being taken out starting at the time your employer makes the change.

  29. Mary on Sat, 7th Sep 2013 4:01 pm
  30. Hi,
    I have two jobs and last year I barely got back any federal money and i had to pay the state back. I thought if I added the federal and state withholdings from both jobs, I would be able to get an estimate of what I was looking at to receive at the end of the year and it came to be about $1200, but I actually only got like $600 and I owed the state $90. How can I fix this, where I get more back in federal and not pay the state at all or at least less than $90. I’m single and have no dependents. Do I need to fill my W-4’s differently??

  31. Jan Roberg on Sun, 8th Sep 2013 8:11 pm
  32. Hi Mary,
    I know exactly what happened, it happens to people all the time. You’ve got two jobs–if you only had one of those jobs, then you’d probably be getting a real nice refund. You’re withholding based on that lower income. But because you’ve got two jobs, your income actually bumps you into a higher tax bracket.
    Here’s what you can do to figure things out. The IRS has this thing called a withholding calculator. Here’s the link:

    It will really help to have your last year’s tax return with you, and you’re also going to want to have your most recent pay stub. It’s a bit of a pain in the butt to go through the questions, but it really gives you a good answer about what your refund would look like if you keep doing things the way you’re doing them.

    So, if you want a bigger refund, you withhold more–meaning claim fewer exemptions, if you’re claiming one, then claim zero. If you’re already claiming zero, then claim zero and withhold additional.

    The IRS calculator does help you with your state withholding, but the principle is the same–want a bigger refund, claim less exemptions.

    Whatever you do, do not–I repeat DO NOT, write “exempt” on your W4. I told someone to claim fewer exemptions last year so she wrote exempt on her W4 thinking it would mean the most- (it really means they don’t withhold at all) -and she got hit with a huge tax bill.

  33. So Confused on Tue, 29th Oct 2013 4:27 pm
  34. Hi, I’m a single parent of 1 child and work 2 part time jobs. I am currently claiming 0 with my main/first job and claiming 2 with my other seasonal job.

    I’m confused on what to claim on my W-4 anymore. I do like a big refund at the end of the year, but would like to make it that I basically break even (or at least not owe anything) nowadays since money has been tight.

    Please help!

  35. Jan Roberg on Sat, 2nd Nov 2013 9:28 pm
  36. Hi So Confused,
    One thing we can both agree on these days is money is tight! You have a right to be confused, especially with two jobs! It’s kind of tricky for you. A lot of it depends upon how much you make. Generally, when you have two jobs, it kicks you into a higher tax bracket so you definitely want to withhold more than normal. On the other hand, if your income is low enough and your child qualifies you for EIC, then it won’t hurt if you increase your exemptions.
    The IRS has a calculator that’s pretty helpful. Here’s the link:

    You’ll want to have your paystubs and your last year’s tax return. If you generally get a big refund, what I’ve been telling people is to switch their withholding so they get more money now (claim 2 exemptions on your main job instead of zero for example) so that you’ve got a little spending money for the holidays. (Tax refunds are looking like they’ll be late this year so you can’t count on your refund to help you pay the bills.)

    If you don’t normally get a big refund–then that’s not a good idea. And it sounds like you’re probably doing the right thing by claiming zero on the main and 2 on your second.

  37. Airren on Sun, 3rd Nov 2013 7:38 am
  38. I know I shouldn’t worry but I’m afraid I might have to owe taxes. I got this new job and I’m married with one child. I had claimed 3 on my form should that be right? My husband is also working as well. Should i have claimed him or should I have just claimed my daughter and I?

  39. Ellen Sklar on Sun, 3rd Nov 2013 11:22 am
  40. I am single and I have 3 jobs. At one of my part time jobs I recently filled out a State of Connecticut W4. I used the code F, and no state tax is being taken out of my check.. I must be missing something. What do I add to my CT-W4 so that they take the correct amount of taxes out ? I want to have the taxes taken out so that I don’t have to pay the state at the end of the year. (I get paid bi-monthly at this job).

  41. Carolyn on Tue, 12th Nov 2013 1:37 pm
  42. I just got married and I am filling out the W4 for my new job. My husband and I are going to file jointly and he makes more money than I do. I checked the box “married, but withhold at higher single rate” does this mean that I put 0 on line 5 or do I put 1? Also, do I have to fill out the two-earner worksheet or would he just have to do that because he will be considered HOH?

  43. Jan Roberg on Thu, 14th Nov 2013 9:01 pm
  44. Hi Airren,
    Congratulations on the new job. Generally, when you have a married couple, the spouse that makes the most money claims all the exemptions and the spouse that makes less claims zero exemptions. It’s not a perfect formula, but it’s a good rule of thumb.
    When I have spouses that make about the same, I usually have them both claim zero exemptions just because they often get kicked into a higher tax bracket and of they claim all their exemptions, they don’t have enough withheld.

    That said, if your income is low enough combined that you can still get an Earned Income Tax credit–then it usually doesn’t matter if you both claim the exemptions–the EIC will cover the withholding.

    A good calculator is on the IRS website. Here’s the link:

    You’ll want to have the latest copies of your pay stubs and last year’s taxes to fill out the form, but it gives you a good clue as to if you’ll owe money or not.

  45. Jan Roberg on Sat, 30th Nov 2013 8:39 pm
  46. Hi Ellen,
    It looks to me like you did it right. If you’re single and expect to make over $14,000 for the year, you chose F. But your employer isn’t withholding, so that’s a little odd. I would think that you could either chose to withhold a little extra. The marginal tax rate for Connecticutt is 5% so I’d just write 5% of whatever your paycheck is as your extra withholding. That way, you’ll know you’re taking out what needs to be taken.

  47. Jan Roberg on Sat, 30th Nov 2013 9:06 pm
  48. Hi Carolyn,
    Congratulations on your wedding! I would put zero on line 5 just to be on the safe side. Generally, the spouse with the higher paycheck should claim all of the exemptions, and the spouse with the smaller paycheck shoudl claim zero exemptions. That’s not perfect for everyone, but it’s a pretty good rule of thumb.
    You’ll want to take another look at your income and deductions after you’ve done your first tax return together and maybe tweak things a little. But if you claim zero and have your husband claim two, you should be fine. If you’re itemizing on your return you might have him claim more exemptions–but no more than two if you’re not itemizing and there are no children involved.

  49. Tiffany on Tue, 28th Jan 2014 1:24 pm
  50. Hi~
    Very confused about the tax thing :( MY husband and I got married July of 2012, we have 2 children, I was unemployed then so things were easier … He has a full time job and makes way more than I do and claims the kiddos from what I know, NOW I have a part time job and made close to 10,000 for the year, I was told I should put (1) on line 5…NOW I’m scared thinking I should have put (0), was hoping for a nice refund. We also paid daycare for 2….PLEASE ease my mind!

  51. Jan Roberg on Wed, 29th Jan 2014 8:03 pm
  52. Hey Tiffany,
    Don’t worry about it. The worst thing that can happen is that you owe tax. Yes, that would be bad, but you haven’t done anything wrong or bad or anything like that.

    Now personally, I (me–what I really do when I get a W2 because my husband makes more than me too) I claim “Married but withhold at the higher single rate” with zero exemptions. Back when I had a wage type job my income was just extra on top of my husbands. Well, my husband by himself was in a higher tax bracket. My income, if I was single would be at a lower tax bracket, but since my income was just extra on top of his, I withheld more to cover the taxes. (Plus, I like refunds. I know tax people are supposed to say you want to break even, but me personally, I like to get a refund.)

    So technically, I would have your husband withhold as married with 4 exemptions and you claim single with zero. Remember, you’ve got the child tax credit for 2 kids, plus you’ll have your day care credit so as long as your husband withheld, you should probably be okay anyway.

    Good luck!

  53. Heather on Sat, 1st Feb 2014 1:24 am
  54. Hi, I ran into a conflict with my taxes this year, when i filled out my w-4 form for 2012 for some reason i had misread the form and wrote exempt, and when i got my w-2 back in 2013 there werent any federal taxes taken out and i had to pay in. After realizing i made the mistake i filled out another w-4 form to correct my mistake, I had thought everything was taken care of ,but when i got my w-2 for 2013 they still did not take out federal income taxes, i called the accountant to see what the problem was and found out she had used my w-4 form from 2012 instead of using the revised 2013 w-4 form. so now IRS says i have to pay in again. I dont know what to do, i had already fixed this problem this time last year, and had talked to the accountant and she told me there was nothing she could do about it. Is there anyway to resolve this? I do not want to pay for a mistake that i didnt make.

  55. Jan Roberg on Sat, 1st Feb 2014 4:21 pm
  56. Hi Heather,
    A couple of years ago, I had a couple of people come to me with a similar problem. The IRS had changed the withholding tables and some employers did their employee withholding wrong. Big companies use software that’s all computerized, but some smaller companies were using the tax formula and had copied it down wrong so people’s withholdings were wrong.

    So what happened? The IRS said that even though it was the employer’s fault, the individual taxpayer was still the one who was liable for paying the tax.

    Now as far as the employers go–one of them was quite generous and paid a bonus to the employee to help her with her taxes. The other one did nothing–they weren’t required to.

    At the end of the day, it’s money that you would have paid anyway. (Although if you’re hit with a penalty I would think that your employer would at least pay that.)

    Now what should you do? First thing–change your withholding. Second, when you get you next paycheck, look carefully to see if any withholding is taken out. Federal withholding is called just that: federal withholding. You’ll have social security and medicare taxes taken out–that’s called FICA. Social Security is 6.2% of your wages. Medicare is 1.45% of your wages. State withholding will say state withholding. If there’s nothing on the line for federal withholding–you need to go to the accountant right away and have her fix it.

    Since you know that the accountant is irresponsible, you’ll have to watch your pay stubs carefully. I hope she at least said she was sorry.

  57. kristi on Sun, 2nd Feb 2014 11:11 am
  58. I’ve been claiming married 6 for the last 12 years with my employer. I honestly never knew that I was claiming 6. (I was young when I started my job and had no one to guide me with filling out my w4) so now I’m not married and my children dont live with me. I’ve been told that if I suddenly change my withholdings from married 6, to single 0 or single 1, they I will end up owing the government. can you give me some advice?

  59. Jan Roberg on Sun, 2nd Feb 2014 2:59 pm
  60. Hi Kristi,
    I’ve you’ve been claiming the same thing for the last twelve years and haven’t had a problem–well, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

    If you change form withholding 6 exemptions to 0 or 1, then you shouldn’t wind up owing the government more at tax time, but owe less or even get a refund.

    But if you’ve been filing your taxes every year and you’re doing just fine–I wouldn’t change a thing.

  61. Erin on Mon, 3rd Feb 2014 9:32 pm
  62. I recently filed my 2013 taxes and january last year I was working a full time job and left there to go into the military. I wasnt aware on what I was suppose to put on my w4 form so now I have to owe federal. For the future reference I am a reservist part time and going to be working a full time job also. What should I put as my number of exemptions for each?

  63. Jan Roberg on Tue, 4th Feb 2014 4:44 pm
  64. Hi Erin,
    Thank you for your service to our country. It sounds to me like you’re going to have two W2s next year; one for your full time job and one for being a reservist, right?

    The best way to figure this is to use the IRS withholding calculator. It’s a pain in the behind at first, but it gives you a really accurate result. Here’s the link:

    My gut reaction is that you should claim single 1 exemption on your main job, and single 0 exemptions on the reservist job. That’s completely by the seat of my pants, not knowing your income or anything like that. It’s probably not a bad number.

    If you like a little refund, or are a little nervous about paying in–go for single, zero exemptions on both.

    It’s hard to tell when someone has two jobs, that’s why I like the withholding calculator. When you’ve got two jobs, you often get kicked into a higher tax bracket, but the withholding is at the lower tax bracket so you get messed up. But if your reservist duty is one of those once a month for a weekend kind of deals–you’re probably okay doing it the way I told you.

  65. BC on Mon, 10th Feb 2014 10:34 am
  66. I just completed my 2013 taxes and owe about $2000. Single and claim one of my children (age 7) as a dependent. No other credits or deductions (no house; some student loan interest, but my income is too high to claim it.) Two jobs – one pays about $85K and the other is a “seasonal” job in the fall which pays about $2500.

    I’m looking to change my withholdings on my W4. Making sense of it is like Greek to me. I want to essentially “break even” at the end of the year. Would it be wise to simply use a single (1) withholding?

  67. Jan Roberg on Mon, 10th Feb 2014 9:57 pm
  68. Hi BC,
    I’m guessing single 1 withholding for your main job and single 0 on the second job.
    I’m guessing that your child that you claim doesn’t live with you, otherwise you’d use the head of household filing status and that would lower your taxes.
    At your income, the second job is taxed at 25% but the withholding is next to nothing, that’s pretty much why you owed so much. You can probably get away with single 2 exemptions on the main job and single zero on the second job. For a really accurate reading, go to the IRS website and use your most recent paycheck on the withholding calculator.

  69. CC on Tue, 11th Feb 2014 9:41 pm
  70. Hello,

    I have a peculiar situation. My wife and I both work (I earn higher, if that’s relevant). On my 2013 W3, I’m listed as SINGLE with zero Federal and State exemptions. On hers, she’s listed as MARRIED with 2 Federal and 0 State exemptions. We have no children.

    How do I deal with this scenario in my returns? How will it affect my return?


  71. Jan Roberg on Wed, 12th Feb 2014 8:35 pm
  72. Hi CC,
    The best answer I can give you is to prepare your tax return and see how it turns out. When you’re married with two incomes, there’s so many possibilities. I suggest you do your taxes, see how your refund/balance due looks. If you’re happy, don’t change things. If you’re not happy, then make adjustments. And I’d use the IRS withholding calculator. It’s a good tool.

  73. NL on Wed, 26th Feb 2014 2:18 pm
  74. Hello,

    I am getting married in October. I understand that this will mean that we are considered married for all of 2014. I make a little more than half of my soon to-be husband’s salary. We both currently claim Single-1. I know from your blog I should claim married but withhold at higher single rate, zero allowances.

    My question is – Is it an issue to go ahead and change my W4 now so I am withholding the correct amount all year, even though we aren’t married yet? Or should I perhaps just change to single-0? Will that get me close enough for now?

    Thank you

  75. Jan Roberg on Thu, 27th Feb 2014 6:23 am
  76. Hi NL,
    congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

    You can change your withholding now. That’s fine. Go ahead and do the single 0. It will withhold a little more than the Married 0 but that’s probably good. (Personally, when I was a W2 employee I always withheld at the higher single rate.)

    Good luck!

  77. Atul on Tue, 11th Mar 2014 4:37 pm
  78. Hello,

    I am single and live at home and just noticed on my W4 that there are 2 exemptions. I don’t have any dependents so I am not sure why there are 2 exemptions in the first place. What should I change it to or should I even change it at all?


  79. jessi on Thu, 13th Mar 2014 9:45 am
  80. My husband just started a new job in Feb. After being unemployed 2 months after getting out of the military. Ive never filled out a w-4 but he had me do it and i think i filled it out wrong…. it says thee are ZERO fed coming out of his pay and he is claiming 11…?! I don’t work and we have 3 kids. help please! I can’t figure out what to do!

  81. Anna on Sun, 16th Mar 2014 3:06 pm
  82. I am married and have one child. I am starting a part time job that will probably earn about $10,000 or so a year. My husband is the main wage earner and we file jointly but always claim less exceptions than we are entitled because he likes to get a refund. I would like to claim married with three exemptions because I want to get as much in my paycheck as possible for spending money. I don’t think that this extra money will put us into another tax bracket. Am I ok to claim the most exemptions even though he is the main wage earner. Thanks for your help.

  83. Jan Roberg on Sun, 23rd Mar 2014 8:02 pm
  84. Hi Atul,
    If you’re single and live alone you should probably claim 1 exemption. If you’re living with your parents and still in school, you should claim zero.

  85. Jan Roberg on Sun, 23rd Mar 2014 8:37 pm
  86. Hi Jesse,
    If your husband’s income is really low, that might be okay because with you not working, and having three kids, there could be EIC and that would cover your taxes.

    But if he’s got a good job, I’m thinking the most he should claim right now is 5 exemptions. If you get a giant refund next year, well then you can boost it up. But claiming 11 and having nothing taken out sounds a little worrisome to me.

    To know for certain, grab your tax return and his most recent pay stub and check out the IRS withholding calculator:

    It will tell you exactly home many exemptions he should be claiming to get to a zero balance return. If you want a bigger refund, claim fewer exemptions.

  87. Jan Roberg on Sun, 23rd Mar 2014 9:30 pm
  88. Hi Anna,
    Here’s the thing. I’m guessing that you and your husband are in the 25% tax bracket. So, your $10,000 of income will create $2,500 worth of taxes. And if you claim married and 3 exemptions on your W4, you’re going to have hardly anything taken out in taxes.

    So instead of getting a refund, you could even have a balance due. Is that what you really want?

  89. xerfence25 on Tue, 13th May 2014 12:24 pm
  90. Hi I’m divorce I have 2 children and right now I’m claiming 1 on my allowance and I make around 30000 a year, but I take home a little, I want to take home more but I don’t want to pay tax end of the ye

  91. Priscilla on Tue, 27th May 2014 11:36 am
  92. Hi, I am 40 yrs old, My son just turned 18 and will be going to college. He may end up getting a part time job. He will still be a dependent b/c he has aspergers and is not yet ready to be on his own.
    1) What should my allowances on my W-4 reflect?
    2) Can I still be HOH on W4? On taxes?
    3) Can i claim him as dependent?
    4) If he gets a part time job… how should he fill out w4?

  93. Jan Roberg on Sat, 31st May 2014 7:21 am
  94. Hi Priscilla,
    Congratulations on your son going to college. Because he’s going to college you will still be claiming him on your tax return.

    If it’s just you and your son–you can claim 2 exemptions of your W4. (You might be able to claim more if you have a lot of other deductions or qualify for EIC, but 2 is what I’d normally recommend.)

    Yes, you are still head of household.

    Yes, you can still claim him as a dependent.

    If he gets a part time job he should fill out his W4 as single with 0 exemptions.

  95. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Jun 2014 6:04 am
  96. Hi Xerfence25,
    The best way to figure your withholding is to use the IRS withholding calculator:

    Shooting from the hip, if you have two kids, and you can claim the exemptions on your tax return, then I think you could easily claim 3 exemptions on your withholding, maybe even more. But there may be other things with your taxes and life that I don’t know about so it’s worth your while checking out the IRS withholding calculator and getting a more tailored answer for you.

    Here’s another clue. Did you get a pretty decent refund this past year and were you making the same amount of money? Then that’s a good hint that you can up your exemptions.

  97. Tasha on Sun, 8th Jun 2014 11:54 pm
  98. By what’s stated on the W4 worksheet I should be claiming 7, can I keep this as my allowance for a few months to make alittle extra money then lower it to 4 on my W4? If so will this mess up my taxes at the end of the year to much? I don’t want to pay a ton to the IRS.

  99. Afreeca B. on Thu, 12th Jun 2014 7:41 pm
  100. Hello,
    My husband left Active duty August 2013 and is now a reservist (one weekend a month). He is about to begin a new job soon (June 2014). I have been working a part time job with full time hours. I cannot remember what I claimed on my W2 when I filled it out, but we have three children. What exactly should he be claiming on his W2 for the new job? What should I have on mine? And we are interested in getting more money back with each paycheck and less at the end of the year or breaking even. Thank you so much. Namaste!!!

  101. Jen on Tue, 17th Jun 2014 1:36 pm
  102. Hello. I just got a new job starting this week. As I was filling out my w4 I stopped and realized I wasnt sure if I should claim my 2 month old son as a dependent or not. My boyfriend makes a lot more money than me. What happens if I claim him as opposed to what happens if I dont? I was told my boyfriend would be claiming our child around tax time since he makes more. Does that mean I should say I have no dependents? Thanks for your help.

  103. Jan Roberg on Wed, 18th Jun 2014 9:43 pm
  104. Hi Jen,
    On your W4, I would claim 1 exemption–just you. That way, if you don’t claim your child on your tax return, you’ll be fine taxwise next year.

    BUT– don’t automatically assume that your boyfriend should claim your son next year. (By the way, congratulations on your new baby! I bet he’s adorable.)

    But, I’m guessing that you and your boyfriend are a family and working together to make the best life possible for your child, right? So maybe he should claim the child, but maybe not.

    What you want to do next year is to sit down together and have both of you prepare your tax returns. Each of you do it two ways, one with claiming your son, one without. Then figure out what scenario gives you the most money as a family.

    If you read the rules, it says that if you and he disagreed over who should claim the child–then the exemption goes to the person with the higher income. But–a couple working together for the good of the family–you’re not disagreeing so you don’t have to worry about tie-breaker rules. You’re united.

    Sometimes, it’s better for the parent with the lower income to claim the child because of the earned income tax credit.

    So, run the numbers both ways. And–if you two get more money by having you claim your son–by all means do it that way. Then take the extra money that you as a family earn and put it in the bank to save for your son to go to college.

  105. samantha on Thu, 19th Jun 2014 9:41 am
  106. I got confused on my w-4 and after everything was said and done I ended up with 8 deductions total. Im single, 2kids, one job and I file head of household. Will I end up paying in??

  107. Katherine on Sat, 21st Jun 2014 6:31 pm
  108. Question, I have a temporary job and it will end in two -three weeks with one more paycheck. The Hours I put in and then what is taken away in taxes is incredibly high. Can I change my allowance to from 1 to 2. Since the W-4 says add one for yourself and another if your single and only have one job. Will this affect me in my filing return for next year. It just one paycheck and I wont get another job in awhile.

  109. Jan Roberg on Sun, 22nd Jun 2014 7:06 am
  110. Hi Katherine,
    For your situation, I’d go ahead and claim 10 exemptions just to get as much money as possible.

    For your situation, it’s only a temporary job and you’re not going to be working in another week or so–you won’t need the high withholding so go ahead and take as much money as you can.

    If you were going to be working at a job consistently for the entire year, then it would be wise to keep the withholding up, but it sounds like you need your cash now and from what you’re telling me, I don’t think it would hurt you at all.

  111. Jan Roberg on Sun, 22nd Jun 2014 9:29 am
  112. Hi Samantha (post 51, sorry I got out of order here)

    You may be just fine. I’m guessing 1 for you, 2 for the kids, another 1 for claiming head of household, 2 more for the kids getting the child tax credit–that’s 6 right there.

    Basically, if your income is pretty low, you’re fine claiming that many exemptions–if your income is high (or you have a second job or other income) then you should probably change it.

    The best way to tell for sure is to use the IRS withholding calculator:

    If you use the standard deduction (you don’t itemize things like mortgage interest) then you just need your latest pay stub. If you itemize, then you’ll want a copy of your latest tax return also.

    If you’re not withholding enough, the calculator will tell you exactly what to change your withholding to.

  113. Jan Roberg on Sun, 22nd Jun 2014 10:56 am
  114. Hi Afreeca,
    Congratulations on your husband being back from active duty.

    Here’s the quick and dirty option: have whichever one of you makes more money claim married with 5 exemptions and the one who makes less claim single 0.

    Or, for the more accurate reading, go to the IRS withholding calculator:

    That will give you a really accurate reading and it goes for a zero refund keeping as much in your paycheck as possible.

  115. mark on Thu, 26th Jun 2014 10:22 am
  116. if I make for example 130k annually, my wife do not work and we have one child, what should I have on the W4 ?

  117. Jayne M on Mon, 30th Jun 2014 9:22 am
  118. Hello, I am head of house hold and a single mom of 3 making close to $40,000 a year. How many exemptions should I be claiming on my w-4? I am getting close to $300-$400 taken of my checks every 2 weeks leaving me with anough to pay bills and thats it. How can I fix this?

  119. Donnah on Wed, 2nd Jul 2014 8:37 am
  120. hello. i work a fulltime job, im the head of household and i have 3 kids.. my employer help me and she said to put 5 for withholding.. i usually get $200-$250 taken out of every check for taxes. what disappoints me is that if i work more than 75hrs in those 2 weeks, im getting a check like im working less 75hrs in 2weeks.. why is that? should i claim more to get more money or just leave it how i have it on my w4?

  121. santos on Wed, 2nd Jul 2014 11:06 am
  122. Hi,

    I have a 2 year old i live with my in-laws but me and my boyfriend have always argued of who will claim the baby i am working a job right now i have 6 months working here and they are asking me to fill out my w-2 form to update it i don’t know if i should claim my son if my boyfriend is already calming him on his. Can you please help i am getting paid less than him. What would you suggest?

  123. Jan Roberg on Sat, 5th Jul 2014 1:16 pm
  124. Hi Santos,
    You’ve got a really good question, but I’m sorry I don’t have an easy answer for you. You see, it depends. When you get to tax time next year, it may make sense for you to claim your child, or maybe your boyfriend should. Or maybe your in-laws should. You’ve got so many options.

    Here’s what I think you should do. For now, you should claim one exemption on your W4–that way you’re covered no matter what you do.

    You said “boyfriend” instead of husband so I’m assuming that you’re not officially married. If you were married and had to file a joint return, I’d have you claim zero exemptions.

    When tax time rolls around next year, you, your boyfriend, and his parents (if they make more money than you and your boyfriend) will all sit down together and do your taxes. Everybody will run the numbers with and without your child. Assuming you’re all working together for the good of the child, right?

    Then, whoever gets the biggest refund or deduction for claiming your child should take the exemption. But–whoever gets the exemption only takes as much refund as he or she would get if they didn’t claim your child. The extra money goes into a special account to pay for college, or medical expenses, or whatever your child needs.

    Bottom line, you and your boyfriend should argue over who claims your child since you should be working together for the good of baby. Right?

  125. Jan Roberg on Sat, 5th Jul 2014 1:41 pm
  126. Hi Donnah,
    So I’m guessing that you make about $20 an hour? If you made $20 an hour and worked an 80 hour week, your gross pay (that’s how much you get before they take out taxes) would be $1600 every two weeks. And your employer would take out $122.40 for your FICA (that’s Social Security and Medicare) and another $97 for your IRS withholding. That comes to $219.

    Now, if you don’t make close to $20 an hour, then there may be something wrong. But you’ll want to check about things like health insurance or other things your company might withhold for–like daycare.

    And don’t forget your state income tax–they have to withhold for that too.

    So if this is all making sense, then you’re okay, but if it’s not, go to your employer and have her explain what all the deductions are. I know some people feel embarrassed having to ask questions–but this is your money and you have a right to know. It’s not like you’re accusing her of cheating you, you just want to understand what is going on with your money.

    And, not that your employer would cheat you, but I’ve seen cases where the withholding was wrong. Wouldn’t you rather ask and get it straightened out if that was the case?

    If you’re feeling like doing some work on this, try using the IRS withholding calculator. Here’s a link:

    It’s a great tool for figuring out if you can change your exemptions or not. You’ll need your last pay stub and your last tax return to get an accurate reading, but it’s pretty good.

  127. Jan Roberg on Sat, 5th Jul 2014 2:57 pm
  128. Hi Jayne,
    I’m going to give you similar advice as Donnah–check out the withholding calculator.

    But also, what all is coming out of your check? At $40,000 a year with 5 exemptions, I’m thinking that you would have about $203 taken out for federal and state taxes. Depending upon what state you live in, that could be another hundred maybe. But what other things are they taking out? If it’s health insurance–that’s a good thing. It’s much cheaper through your employer than paying that on your own.

    But do check out the withholding calculator. It will tell you if you can increase your exemptions (which would give you more take home pay.)

  129. Jan Roberg on Sat, 5th Jul 2014 3:49 pm
  130. Hi Mark,
    Generally I would say claim 3 exemptions. One for you, one for your wife and one for your child.

  131. Jan Roberg on Sun, 6th Jul 2014 9:09 am
  132. Hi Tasha,
    If you don’t want to pay a ton to the IRS later, don’t claim too many exemptions up front. If you have been claiming too many exemptions, use the IRS withholding calculator to help you adjust now so you don’t get stuck later.

  133. Teresa on Tue, 8th Jul 2014 1:12 pm
  134. Our daughter, who is 23 and still in college, just got a part time job. We still pay for all her living expenses plus school 100% and claim her on our taxes. What does she put on her W4, and does she file a tax return when that time comes? Thanks.

  135. shar on Sat, 12th Jul 2014 1:20 pm
  136. Hi I’m a single mother of 3. I’m just trying to figure out what number I should enter on my w-4. I work about 30hrs a week so I don’t make very much money plus I go to school and live on my own.if that extra info is needed.

  137. Jan Roberg on Sun, 13th Jul 2014 7:00 am
  138. Hi Shar,
    My best guess is that since you’re a single mother with 3 kids and you’re on your own that you won’t have any tax liability at all. I’m thinking you can claim at least 5 exemptions and probably even 8 (one for each of your kids that’s under age 17.)

    If you’re making $15 an hour, at $30 hours a week and you claim 6 exemptions, you’ll have zero federal tax taken out.

    If you’re making over $15, (and your kids are under age 17) I’d go up to the 8 exemptions but I wouldn’t go over that.

    If you have 8 exemptions and they’re still taking out federal income tax, then you’re probably making too much to get EIC and may have taxes so you’ll want some withholding.

    (I never can tell want “don’t make very much” means to some people. I once had a fellow call me saying he “didn’t make too much” and his income was $200,000 a year. I’m assuming that’s not your income bracket but just in case, I want to make sure you don’t claim more than 8 exemptions to cover your behind.)

  139. Sandy on Sun, 13th Jul 2014 8:08 am
  140. Hi there,
    I am married and we file jointly. I do make more money than my spouse. We have one child together. Up until now, I have only been claiming “1” on my taxes. Wouldn’t it be better, if I need more money in my paycheck, to change it to “2” ? In that case, would it also be better for my husband to claim zero because he makes less money than me? Thanks so much for your time!

  141. Jan Roberg on Sun, 13th Jul 2014 8:26 am
  142. Hi Teresa,
    I would have your daughter claim zero exemptions. She probably will have to file a tax return in April.

    Now if she’s still under 24 on 12/31 then you’ll still be able to claim her as a dependent. That’s why I’m saying zero.

    If she’s over 24, you might not be able to claim her if her income is over the exemption threshold which is $3600 for 2013. In that case, I’d have her claim one exemption, she’ll have more take home pay that way.

  143. Jan Roberg on Sun, 13th Jul 2014 8:32 am
  144. Hi Sandy,
    You’re probably right, but I’m going to send you to the IRS withholding calculator to get you the best scenario.

    Bottom line, you need more money in your take home pay–not a big tax deduction later, right? Follow the instructions on the guideline and it will help you reset your withholding for a zero refund.

    Have your most recent paystubs handy and you last tax return. (If you don’t itemize, you probably don’t even need your tax return.)

  145. Kat on Tue, 15th Jul 2014 11:53 pm
  146. Hi Jan,

    I recently got married and my spouse does not currently work. For a long time I had 2 and Single listed on my W4 – I just followed the instructions on the form and changed it to 3 and Married. The IRS Withholding Calculator is giving me awfully big numbers so I’m not sure if I used it correctly – is 3 an okay number or should I do more/less to avoid owing at tax time?

    My goal is to get the most out of my paychecks – refund isn’t really as important as not owing.

  147. Trinity on Fri, 18th Jul 2014 11:18 pm
  148. Hi! If I work 1 full-time job at $10/hr and 1 part-time job–17 hours total in a month at $10/hr, should I claim a 1 for each job? At the full-time job, I claimed 1. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

  149. Alexis V on Mon, 28th Jul 2014 6:19 pm
  150. If i am 24 years old and I live with my parents what do I put on line A of a W-4?

  151. naomi on Tue, 29th Jul 2014 4:16 pm
  152. I’m a mother and student but my question is … it a good idea for a college student to not file a federal tax return assuming that the income taxes withheld by employees “probably” will cover their tax liability? What are the negatives if the employer withheld too much in taxes? Or not enough taxes? Will any tax credits be lost?

  153. Danielle on Thu, 7th Aug 2014 7:10 pm
  154. I have been with my fiancé for many years now. we have two kids and he claims head of household as he is the only one who works. However I just recently got a job as a substitute teacher. What should I put on my W4.

  155. Candace Varga on Thu, 7th Aug 2014 8:15 pm
  156. Hi quick question because we are totally lost. My fiancé and I are getting married in October and I have two kids from a previous and I claim them. My fiancé makes about $46,000 and I make $33,000 however we are both also in a chapter 13 separately. I want to be able to get a nice refund but we also live check to check and can’t have to many taxes taken out on our paychecks. What would you suggest our withholding should change to in our paychecks?

  157. Eileen Hines on Fri, 8th Aug 2014 1:27 am
  158. Hi Jan,
    I lost my job in Nov 2012 and still haven’t found another job. I just turned 61, my husband died in 2008. I have a pension which I applied for and is in the process now. I should get payments started by Nov. I am going to receive an Option Pkt in which I believe I have to decide what exemptions to take on the payment I receive. It will be $1095 a month. I am going to receive a one time bulk pmt as the first payment. They dated my claim for May 1, 2014. So this may be 6 or 7 months worth of payments. I read online that they have to take 20% tax deduction if I don’t “roll it over to another plan or IRA.” Is this true? And what are my options to avoid this huge tax hit? And of course, what exemption if any should I take on the monthly pmt of $1095. I live in California so there is state tax along with federal. I need all the money I can get each month to live on. I plan to get a job to supplement this as who can live on $1095 a month? Is there a way to calculate the exemption so I’ll know what how much I’ll have left out of the $1095? Thanks for any help in advance!

  159. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:00 pm
  160. Hi Kat,
    my guess is that the IRS withholding calculator is giving you big numbers is because you’ve been withholding too much and if you want more in your paycheck and no refund, you probably can claim a whole bunch of exemptions.

    That said, if you are the only wage earner and you are married, claiming married with 2 exemptions would be normal.

    If you’re a little nervous about claiming too much, go for married with 4 exemptions for now. Then Switch down to 2 when January comes around.

  161. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:02 pm
  162. Hi Trinity,
    The thing about having two part-time jobs is that it messes you up taxwise. I recommend claiming zero exemptions on both. Otherwise, neither job will withhold enough.

    I always recommend checking out the IRS withholding calculator. It might even suggest you withhold a little extra.

  163. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:03 pm
  164. Hi Alexis,
    Claim single, 1 exemption. Skip line A, go to the bottom and put a 1 on line 5.

    At 24, you parents probably can’t claim you anymore.

  165. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:09 pm
  166. Hi Naomi,
    A mother and a college student? Why not file? You’re probably a tax refund waiting to happen! Plus, if you want to get financial aid for college you’ve got to file in order to fill out the FAFSA.

    I can think of no good reason not to file.

    Okay, a little story for you. I once represented a woman who didn’t file her taxes and she got a letter from the IRS saying that she owed about $15,000. Ouch! But, really she was a mother with a child and she should have had refunds amounting to over $8,000! But because she hadn’t filed, she lost a lot of the money because it was too late to claim the refund.

    Have I convinced you to file yet? I hope so.

  167. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:11 pm
  168. Hi Danielle,
    You should claim single with one exemption. Come tax time, you and your fiance’ may wish to see what’s the best way to file for your family, but if you claim single and one, you’ll be withholding the right amount for if he claims both children again.

  169. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:26 pm
  170. Hi Candace,
    You and your fiance’ will be married filing jointly and making close to $80,000 a year. There’s no EIC, so the only refund you’ve got is based upon how much you’re withholding. But you’re both in bankruptcy and living paycheck to paycheck.

    You leave me with too many questions. My best recommendation is to go to the IRS withholding calculator. I hate to give you any advice because I’m seeing problems that you haven’t even mentioned and I really don’t want to be responsible for getting you into tax trouble. Sorry.

  171. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th Aug 2014 3:40 pm
  172. Hi Eileen,
    At 1095 a month, you’re looking at about $13000 a year. Now if that’s your only income, that doesn’t leave you with very much taxable income. So you’re looking at about 300 – 400 worth of taxes.

    Of course, if you have other income, then your taxes will be higher.

    Since your pension company will be taking out the 20% on the lump sum payment, you’ll at least get the over payment back when you file your 2014 tax return.

    For your monthly withholding, I’d claim single and 1 exemption and they’ll take the money out. At single with one exemption they’ll take around $60 a month for federal.

  173. Eileen H. on Mon, 11th Aug 2014 8:25 pm
  174. Hi Jan,

    Thanks so much for your answer! Can you tell me what to expect the state of Calif to take out of the $1095?

  175. Danielle on Mon, 11th Aug 2014 10:55 pm
  176. You answered the following comments recently stating I should claim 1, however I have a second question to it:

    I have been with my fiancé for many years now. we have two kids and he claims head of household as he is the only one who works. However I just recently got a job as a substitute teacher. What should I put on my W4.

    My fiancé claims me as well as our two kids (head of house hold), since he claims me as well and he has the bigger income do I need to file my own tax return or does he still include me on his tax return(head of household). Also since he claims me as a dependent, shouldn’t I claim zero. a little confused here

  177. sharon on Sun, 17th Aug 2014 1:00 pm
  178. Hello. I live in NC. I’m a single mother of two, a 17 year old, and a 19 year old. I’m back in college part-time and I have a student loan. I am about to start a new job making 33,500 a year paid bi-weekly. My son is a sophmore in college, and working on campus making about 500.00 a month, he also has a student loan. I’ve always filed head of household. I would like to get my money during the year to help meet expenses, but I don’t want to owe. I’ve had some people tell me to claim 4 exemptions, and some tell me 8 to get all my money. Then some say if I file 8 I will owe. How many would you say that I should claim?

  179. Jan Roberg on Sun, 24th Aug 2014 7:17 am
  180. Hi Danielle,
    Your fiance’ won’t be able to claim you as a dependent any more since I am assuming that you will make over $3,600 a year once you start working.

    If he will continue to claim the children on his return, then you should claim 1.

  181. Jan Roberg on Sun, 24th Aug 2014 7:19 am
  182. Hi Eileen,
    Sorry, but this is my job and I get paid for it. Once you ask me for numbers, then that’s something I have to charge for. I still need to eat!

  183. Jan Roberg on Sun, 24th Aug 2014 8:26 am
  184. Hi Sharon,
    First and foremost, I want to recommend the withholding calculator:

    That’s going to give you your best answer. First–right now, you’ve been withholding 4, so I’m thinking you’ve done that for half a year already. The calculator and look at what you’ve done, where you’re heading, and figure out so you get the most out of your checks now to get a zero refund for the end of the year.

    Then you’ll want to change your withholding again in January, but getting the extra money now is good. (If you want a bit of a refund, the reduce the exemptions the calculator recommends by 1 or 2.)

    Now, about your exemptions. 1 for you, 2 for the kids, 1 more for head of household filing status. So 4 makes sense.

    You won’t get child tax credits because your kids are too old. You will probably get a college tax credit, but without other numbers, I can’t compute that for you. Is he getting a scholarship or are you paying tuition? Taking a loan counts as paying tuition.

    Your son’s income does not play into the calculations at all.

    If your son is not getting free tuition, you can probably claim 5 exemptions, maybe 6 depending upon how big his credit is, but I think that with 8 you would owe–unless you’ve already paid in more withholding than necessary.
    That’s why I like the calculator. You use your real numbers and it’s pretty accurate. Give it a try.

  185. Jessica on Sat, 6th Sep 2014 12:47 pm
  186. I’m 29, single, living on my own, one job, and just had my first child in April. Up until now I was claiming 2 exemptions; now I claim 6, but I feel like this is too many. Should I simply still be claiming 2? How should I be filling my W-4 out, just as single w/on dependent (no head of household, etc.)?

  187. Jan Roberg on Sun, 7th Sep 2014 5:05 pm
  188. Hi Jessica,
    I’m thinking that 6 may be a bit much–but if you qualify for EIC, then maybe not. If your income is over $30,000 a year, I’d pull it back to 3, but if it’s lower, then 6 might be okay.

    To know for sure, use the IRS withholding calculator:

    Now, this will tell you what to withhold for the rest of the year — and since I think you were withholding too much before, this may have you not withholding enough next year–so you’ll want to adjust again in January.

    Oh–most importantly, congratulations on your new baby!

  189. Danielle on Mon, 8th Sep 2014 11:53 am
  190. First, I am in a same-sex relationship. We live in Missouri, which does not recognize same-sex marriages. We got married in the state of Illinois. When the federal government ruled that they will recognize same-sex marriages if you are married in any state, Missouri decided to allow same-sex couples to file as married if they are doing so for their federal taxes. So, for tax purposes, both the federal and Missouri government recognize as being married.

    My wife recently gave birth to our son. She had a job, but is quitting once her FMLA leave is over. While our son is not legally mine, yet, I believe I can still claim him as a dependent. Is this correct?

    Would I also claim my wife as a dependent on my W-4 for both federal and Missouri? I am updating my tax information with my employer, and the MO-W-4 says that if your spouse works to not add them as an allowance, but if they do not work to add them as an allowance. She did work, but not longer works, so would I add her or not?

    I think I should end up filing with claiming 3 (one for myself, my spouse, and our child). My yearly salary before taxes is just under 30k. My wife’s was about the same, but will be much less since she didn’t work all year. She also gets paid hourly for a school district, so she gets paid significantly less during the summer.

    Also, I am not sure if this affects anything, but her parents give us money every month so that my wife is able to stay home with our son. Income from them is about half of what I make a year post taxes.

    Thank you!

  191. Jan Roberg on Sat, 13th Sep 2014 6:03 pm
  192. Hi Danielle,
    Congratulations on the new baby!

    Okay, so you are the main bread winner and your wife is a stay at home mom. In that case I would claim 3 exemptions. You, your wife, and your child.

    At $30,000 a year, you might even qualify for the earned income tax credit, but with your wife’s income included you might not so I’d keep the exemptions at 3 for now.

    You do not count the money that you receive as a gift from family members as income so that’s not relevant.

    Now, since your wife was working earlier this year, I would not claim 3 exemptions yet. For the rest of 2014, I would only claim 1, because her income will kick you two into a higher bracket, but then switch to 3 exemptions for 2015.

    You will be filing as married filing jointly, and you will be claiming your baby. So your tax return will have 3 exemptions.

    Being married really messes with figuing out the exemptions. To get it right down to the nose, you can use the IRS exemption calculator:

    I’m thinking that claiming 1 is sort of safe, but if you can get away with claiming more exemptions without it hurting you, then you should because babies are expensive and having more money in your pocket now would really help.

    Congratulations! I just love babies.

  193. Melissa M on Mon, 15th Sep 2014 12:36 pm
  194. Married with one child…both of us work and oddly earn the same amount. We are currently claiming three allowances. He does two, I do one. Advice?

  195. Jan Roberg on Mon, 15th Sep 2014 8:47 pm
  196. Hi Melissa,
    My knee jerk reaction is yeah, that’s probably okay. But–and this is important. I have no idea what your income is. If you and your husband both have fairly high income–whoa, you might not be withholding enough. If your income is low–you might be able to get away withholding less.

    That’s why the IRS withholding calculator is really handy. Here’s a link:

    Or–if you owe for 2014, then claim fewer exemptions next year. If your refund is really big, then claim fewer exemptions.

  197. Samantha on Wed, 17th Sep 2014 9:14 pm
  198. Hi! Filling out my W-4 for a new job and I’m confused! I used to just claim 0. But I have a daughter now… I’m single with 1 child (NOT head of household), and the form states to write 2 for each eligible child for the Child Tax Credit. Do I claim 5!? (Line A= 1, Line B= 1, Line D= 1, Line G= 2) I have no problem having the most withheld so I get a nice refund at tax time. What should I claim!?! Thanks for your help!!

  199. Tony on Thu, 18th Sep 2014 10:37 pm
  200. My fiancé and I have been together for about 20yrs, however still not legally married. we have 2 kids. I have been claiming single and 4 and head of household. I have been the only one in the house hold working till recently. Just this year(august) my fiancé took a part-time job as a substitute teacher. She put on her W4, single and 1. Her gross is going to be about $615.00 every two weeks. Also my daughter had a part time job, where she worked for a few months on Saturdays and her gross during that whole time was about $800 and the only thing taken out of her checks was FICA and Medicare. My question is since my daughter only made about $800 and my fiancé just started working now can I still claim head of house hold? And does either one of them need to file their own taxes? I guess it would be simpler if my fiancé and I just get married and file jointly. HELP!!

  201. Jan Roberg on Sun, 21st Sep 2014 9:14 am
  202. Hi Samantha,
    If you’re not “head of household” then I’m guessing that you have someone else claiming your daughter, or maybe someone else is supporting you two. If that’s the case, claim one exemption because now that you’re working, you probably can’t be claimed by someone else anymore. That will give you a little extra money for each paycheck. If you still get to claim your daughter as a dependent, just not claim head of household, then claim two exemptions. But if you’re looking for the biggest refund, keep claiming zero exemptions.

  203. Jan Roberg on Sun, 21st Sep 2014 9:50 am
  204. Hi Tony,
    You can still claim head of household. You probably won’t be able to claim your fiance’ as a dependent anymore now that she’s working. Of course, you can still claim the kids.
    Your daughter makes so little, she’s probably just fine right now with no federal withholding. If she works full time in the summer, or makes more money, she might want to switch her withholding to zero exemptions.
    Your fiance is right to claim one exemption. I’m assuming that you will keep the kids as your dependents on your return.

    That said, since you’re not married–you might want to play around with that at tax time. Depending upon her income, it may make sense to have her claim one or two of the children because her income is so low she should qualify for EIC. You should still be head of household though–she would be single with dependents if you did that.

    You can actually go to the “do your own taxes” section here and mess around with the numbers to see how it would play out.

  205. Maritza l on Mon, 22nd Sep 2014 3:21 pm
  206. Hello my husband and i are both working full time jobs , and we have two children. but i didn’t put any dependents on my tax job sheet. Are we gonna have to pay at the end of the year? and can we all file together but let my husband claim the kids?

  207. Ryan on Tue, 23rd Sep 2014 6:59 pm
  208. I have claimed 9 for most of the year even though I should be claiming single and none… I’ve made 25000 so far this year and onmy payed 785.00 fed tax this year… I changed it to single and none for the last month until the end of the year… question is how much will I pay when I have to do my taxes and if u owe a bunch could i just have them take it out of my return next year?

  209. JB on Wed, 24th Sep 2014 2:14 pm
  210. I am single & 62 yrs old w/no children & had raised my personal allowances w/my employer. After being approved by the IRS months ago to pay back taxes for 2013 through an automatic payroll deduction (I owe $1200), (Note: I had never been delinquent in all my previous working yrs). I then recd a notice from the IRS stating that my allowance may be too high . The raising of the allowance aided me in paying on an underwater mortgage which had adjusted up $400 during the market crash. (I have yet to be approved for a modification) I then raised the allowance back down so I don’t owe that much for next year. (I only raised them earlier after being told by my realtor that many people raise them to get more monies up front to aid w/expenses. I may be too naive, but I did not know this could be wrong). Since I itemize, I always recd extra from the State anyway, but 2013 was a bad year due to financial challenges aggravated by the higher mortgage payment.) Why would the IRS ding someone who has always paid their taxes & only had one challenge which they know is being paid? Is there sometimes any mercy for hardship in this situation? I am trying to avoid bankruptcy & also want to keep my home.(My house taxes are also due to adjust up soon!) I also hope to finally obtain a modification soon. After re-reviewing the matter, it appears I could probably claim 3 or 4 allowances, but this would not give me enough net pay. I had been claiming 7.) Some people claim more than this and never receive anything from the IRS!

  211. Jan Roberg on Sat, 27th Sep 2014 9:58 pm
  212. Hi Maritza,
    If you didn’t claim any children on your W4 then you are withholding more money than if you had claimed chidren. So–I’m guessing that if your husband is also withholding, then you should be fine and not owe taxes. (If your husband isn’t withholding anything–you could still wind up owing. You can check on the IRS withholding calculator. I’ve got a couple of links to it in other comments.)

    When you file your taxes, you’re going to file as married filing jointly and you’ll claim the kids together.

  213. Jan Roberg on Sat, 27th Sep 2014 10:03 pm
  214. Hi Ryan,
    I can’t run numbers for you here. I make my living running the numbers so I would be charging for that. You can get a really good clue as to what you’re going to owe by going to the IRS website and running the withholding calculator.

    Now if you wind up owing, the IRS won’t just take it out of the next year’s taxes. They are going to want you to make some sort of arrangement to pay them.

    I suggest that you withhold extra now to avoid paying even more later. Then, in January, switch back to single with none.

  215. Jan Roberg on Sat, 27th Sep 2014 10:16 pm
  216. Hi JB,
    You’re paying back taxes through payroll deductions Forgive me for being blunt but, that’s not a good sign. And clearly, you’re not withholding enough to pay your 2014 taxes. The IRS is concerned.

    Here’s why, by your own admission you should probably be claiming 3 or 4 allowances but you’ve been claiming 7. That tells me your setting yourself up to owe taxes for 2014 in addition to 2013.

    So are they being a little parental? Yes. And I get that that’s annoying, but unless you have a plan for how to pay the tax debt you’re going to have in April because you’re not withholding enough, then you can’t really blame them for being concerned.

  217. Michelle on Sun, 28th Sep 2014 12:02 am
  218. First off let me say thank you for your help.. now to the question, I am a recently single parent of 2, and we decided to share custody so no child support on either end will be paid, even though i have my daughters 75% of the time. My biggest concern is that when tax time comes around he wants to claim one of the kids and i will claim the youngest, who is 4. I have 2 full time jobs and im considered a full time college student, mostly classes online, Earning a little over 25000 a year with both incomes for both jobs, will i end up having to pay when tax time comes around, or should i let him claim both and just split the tax money 50/50? Please help!!!

  219. Jan Roberg on Sun, 28th Sep 2014 10:03 pm
  220. Hi Michelle,
    First, I would claim single and 1 exemption Normally I’d have you claim much more–but because you’ve got two jobs–it messes with the withholding and they don’t take enough out. To get it absolutely right, go to the IRS withholding calculator and use both of your last pay stubs and claim one child as an exemption. That will give you the best answer.

    Now–about who gets to claim the kids. You sound like a really nice, wonderful person. Nice people sometimes get stepped on. So let me be your not so nice friend, okay?

    You have custody of the children 75% of the time. You have full rights to claim both children for head of household, the child tax credit, the exemptions, and EIC, and the child care credit. Your ex aint got nothin’. You are in the position of power. You need to know that.

    Now–doing the right thing. If you two are on good terms, you may work together to determine what’s the best filing status for the four of your as a family and use the money for the health and well being of the children. This only works with people who are basically decent people. Let me remind you that you are recently single–so perhaps there may be a reason you don’t think he’s decent any more. But–if he is decent–this might be the best option.

    Now, if you don’t trust him 100% but you’re willing to work with him. You can split the exemptions. This is the legal technical part–you keep the head of household and the EIC and you let him claim the exemptions, but he files as single. This is a standard kind of solution in many divorces.

    Or–if you don’t trust him at all, or he’s not being responsible–then remember, you’ve got the power in this scenario.

    Do not–just let him claim everything and expect him to give you half the money. Women do this all the time and then come crying to me when their ex uses his tax refund to go buy an engagement ring for his new woman. You cannot believe how many times I’ve heard that story. If you are going to let him claim the kids and split the refund with you–then I suggest that you two go file your taxes together and you be sitting there when he e-files and has half the refund direct deposited into your bank account. Two kids claimed on your tax return in your income bracket is worth a lot of refund money that can be used to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Don’t give it up too easily

  221. Michelle on Mon, 29th Sep 2014 7:24 pm
  222. Thank you so much, it was very helpful and i am so greatful for your help

  223. Damian H on Wed, 1st Oct 2014 4:24 pm
  224. My wife and I recently married. I was unemployed for most of the year, and recently started working. I make more on a monthly basis than my wife, but she has worked all year. My question is, would it be unusual or wrong for both of us to claim 0 exemptions on the W-4 to try to get cover taxes and maybe ensure a refund at the end of the year?

  225. Jan Roberg on Sun, 5th Oct 2014 7:01 am
  226. Hi Damian,
    That’s not wrong or unusual. Actually, I think you’re being pretty smart.

  227. Nicole on Thu, 9th Oct 2014 12:39 am
  228. So I am a bit confused. I am 22 years old and have a child. My fiance claims our child on his taxes. So since I am a full time student also and work part time, my mom still claims me on her taxes. Now when I started my part time job I claimed 1 for myself on the W-4. My mom is claiming me also though. So since i am only part time will that mess me up? Will I have to owe or will I not get anything back. I only make 12,000 a year. I also spoke to my HR manager about the situation and he said that since I only work part time it should not affect me during tax season.

    Please let me know.

  229. Alice on Fri, 10th Oct 2014 2:44 pm
  230. I’m confused on how to fill out this form correctly- I am 17 in senior year of high school and I’m trying to me cautious on how to fill out the form properly. This is my 2nd part time job I am filing for, at minimum wage, however I will only work the two jobs at once for about a month. I’ve had internships this year that were tax exempt but I’m not sure if that contributes to anything (but it was mentioned in the calculator).My confusion is due to coworkers saying they could claim exempt, however I claim 0 allowances, correct?

  231. Jennifer on Tue, 14th Oct 2014 7:43 pm
  232. My fiance and I will be marrying in January 2015, with a baby on the way in March. I’ll be making $64,000 and he’ll make about $30,000 between a seasonal job and unemployment. I get that I should claim all the exemptions and he should claim married, single rate, 0; but how many exemptions should I claim for myself? I will divert $4,800 into a flex account for dependent care for the baby (which means I won’t be taking the child care expense credit). I tried the worksheets, and came up with five. One exemption for myself, him, and the baby; then two more exemptions on the baby for the Child Tax Credit. Is five correct, or should I put just three? We’d like to get our refund close to zero, without having any danger of owing.

  233. Jan Roberg on Sat, 18th Oct 2014 10:27 pm
  234. Hi Nicole,
    At $12,000 you’ll probably wind up owing. You should have claimed zero exemptions. My gut guess (realize that I haven’t seen your w2, I don’t know the whole story or anything) but just my gut says that you’ll owe a little under $400.

    Now you can reduce that a bit by changing your withholding to take more out of your check now. Or just save up the money for tax time.

    The best way to know for sure how much you’re going to owe is take your last paystub and run the numbers through the IRS withholding calculator.

    That should give you a much more accurate figure than my “shoot from the hip” guesstimate. But I’d be really surprised if you owed more than $400.

  235. Ammy on Tue, 21st Oct 2014 12:57 am
  236. hi I am very confused about the Form W 4 I will start a job part time seasonal at 4am well actually training videos and I don’t know what none of this means I’ve never had a job actually kind of embarrassed to say and I am trying to finish applying the second part to the application and I don’t know what to put on this form I have one child not married. I am not a student I live with mom she used to claim me now she just claims my child ….graduated HS back on 2010 I am 23yr if that helps because I need it can’t sleep thinking about if. I bet the HR will laugh in my face. This makes it even more confusing it says this:
    Claim Exemption
    I claim exemption from withholding for 2014, and I certify that I meet both of the following conditions for exemption:

    Last year I had a right to a refund of all Federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability and
    This year I expect a refund of all Federal income tax withheld because I expect to have no tax liability.
    If you meet both conditions, check ‘Exempt’

  237. Tiffany on Wed, 22nd Oct 2014 9:22 am
  238. Hi
    I got married back in February I haven’t changed the status on my employer forms they still say single and one I do have a child. We are going to file seperate and I will be claiming my child. Will I be okay when filing as long as I change my status to married before being submitted for my refund. Or will I owe???

  239. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Oct 2014 9:12 am
  240. Hi Alice,
    You’re a senior in high school working at part-time jobs. Many students working at part time jobs claim exempt. It means that no federal taxes are taken out of their paychecks. Social security and medicare still get taken out no matter what.

    So how do you tell if you should claim exempt or use 0 exemptions?

    That’s a smart question. (So I hope you’re applying to a good college because you’re smart.)

    The easy answer is to just claim 0 exemptions and you know you won’t have a problem. File a tax return and you’ll get whatever is left as a refund.

    The harder answer–(but you’re smart so you’re worth the tougher answer) is think ahead about how much money you’re going to make for the whole year.

    If you make $10 an hour and work 15 hours a week, that’s $150 a week. That kind of stuff. How much did you make over the summer? How much will you make before the year is out?

    Once you’ve figured that out–is it more or less than $6,100? If it’s less, go ahead and claim exempt. If it’s more, then you’ll want to claim 0 exemptions.

    The reason is, if you’re a student, living with your parents, they claim you as an exemption on their tax return. $6,100 is the amount of money you can claim for a standard deduction. Anything about that amount gets taxed.

    Many high school students get away with claiming exempt because they don’t make over the $6,100 (or whatever the standard deduction is for the year.) But, some students who work full time over the summer or just make more money need to have some withholding because they cross that $6100 threshold.

    What’s the worst that could happen? If you claim exempt but wind up owing, you just pay the tax. I hate having to pay the tax, but that’s it. You won’t get in trouble or anything like that. Just don’t claim exempt again because you’ll know you have to pay taxes.

    If you claim zero exemptions and didn’t need to? Then the worst is that you file a tax return and get your money back. Once again, you’re not in trouble, you’ve done nothing wrong.

    Bottom line is that there’s no big downside either way.

  241. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Oct 2014 9:17 am
  242. Hi Jennifer,
    If you came to my office and sat down with me, I would charge a fee for doing that analysis. These forum type questions, I don’t actually run the numbers through a program. I do run a business so I can’t give away my product, right?

    So without running your numbers through the program, I’d recommend 3 not 5. Here’s why–your husband still makes $30,000 which bumps up your tax bracket.

  243. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Oct 2014 9:24 am
  244. Hi Amy,
    Claim 1 exemption. Do not claim exempt.

    About HR laughing in your face about the W4–Ha! Forget them. The W4 messes people up. Why else do you think so many people are asking questions here?

    True story, I used to work for one of the big income tax companies. I forget what year it was but we had a big issue because a very large percentage of our employees had filled out their W4s incorrectly. The employees at the income tax company. We’re supposed to know that stuff! I don’t remember if it made the news or not but it was a big deal in the company and of course, we had to do a whole bunch of training on it.

    And hey, good luck on your new job!

  245. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Oct 2014 9:43 am

    Hi Tiffany, do I have your attention?

    Good, this is important. You got married last February. You say you are going to file separate. You are married, there are only two filing statuses that you are allowed: married filing jointly or married filing separate.

    YOU MAY NOT FILE AS HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD. You need to see that, because that would be considered income tax fraud.

    You didn’t say you were going to do that, it’s just I wanted to make sure that you saw that and know that. It’s a pretty common mistake that people with a child make and I didn’t want you to get into trouble for that.

    Here’s why I’m worried, if you’re filing married filing separately–you might potentially be losing tax benefits for your child, like EIC. Maybe you make too much and that’s not an issue anyway.

    Now, as far as your W4 form with your employer is concerned. Claiming single and 1 is not a problem at all. And, even filing as married filing separate, if you’re claiming your child then you won’t owe. Even if you have your husband claim your child instead, you should not owe since you’ve been withholding for one anyway.

    For what it’s worth, I’ve been married for 30 years and I still withhold as single with zero exemptions. The W4 forms that we file with our employers aren’t for reporting to the IRS, it’s just saying how much money we want our employer to take out of our paycheck to pay towards our taxes. When you say married or single on those forms it’s just telling the payroll clerk what chart to take your tax withholding off of. The single chart has a higher withholding tax rate than the married chart. That’s really all it is.

  247. kj on Wed, 29th Oct 2014 1:51 pm
  248. Married-filing jointly-1 job- 1 dependent (our daughter)

    last year I received a large refund in the sum near $4k. I would like to continue receiving a tax refund equal/greater than $1500 but would also like to adjust exemptions to make more on my paycheck. What would you recommend and how much extra would a make per paycheck if I claim 4 exemptions?


  249. Courtney on Sat, 1st Nov 2014 12:25 pm
  250. I have made about 11,000 grosse. I have been claiming 2 allowances on accident. I should have only been claiming 1. Do you think I will owe?

  251. johnni on Sun, 2nd Nov 2014 10:15 am
  252. hey i have a question. my husband claimed 3 all this year. i thought he claimed 0 like the usual. so when it comes time to file, how is that going to affect our tax return

  253. Jan Roberg on Sun, 2nd Nov 2014 7:43 pm
  254. Hi KJ,
    I’m sorry but I don’t know how many exemptions you were claiming before. And I don’t know how much money you made or make now.

    You’ve got two issue–the first is, the year is almost over, so you could probably claim 20 exemptions to get your withholding down to zero for the rest of the year.

    But then, you’d need to change it in January. I’m thinking that 4 exemptions would be just fine for you. (Just guessing, I don’t have all the information I need but that’s my guess.)

    The best thing is to go to the IRS withholding calculator.

  255. Ian on Wed, 5th Nov 2014 10:49 am
  256. I am single, renting an apartment, and have only one job. I also make monthly student loan payments. I claim 2 allowances since line A says to claim 1 if no one else can claim me, and line B says claim 1 if ‘ You are single and have only one job.’ So, that makes 2. Is that ok? I don’t really care about getting a large refund, and would prefer not to give the government an interest free loan.


  257. Jan Roberg on Wed, 5th Nov 2014 9:04 pm
  258. Hi Johnni,
    The best thing for you to do is go to the IRS withholding calculator and input your numbers. It will give you a pretty solid idea of where you stand.

  259. Jan Roberg on Wed, 5th Nov 2014 9:28 pm
  260. Hi Ian,
    I prefer to have single people only claim 1 on their tax returns. But it’s so close to the end of the year, if you wind up owing, you’ll just adjust next year. If you don’t owe, then don’t change.

  261. Courtney on Fri, 7th Nov 2014 12:54 pm
  262. Hi. I wrote you on Nov. 1 why did you skip over my question?

  263. Marcia on Fri, 14th Nov 2014 8:44 am
  264. If I am single and head of household and I had 2 jobs this year, what do I put as exemptions or allowances I didn’t file taxes last year because I didn’t work at all in 2013 I was a student

  265. Jan Roberg on Sat, 15th Nov 2014 9:29 pm
  266. Hi Marcia,
    I don’t know what you should claim. You say you’re head of household. How many kids do you have?
    You mentioned 2 jobs? Did you have the jobs at the same time or at different times?
    Your best bet is probably going to the IRS website and doing the IRS Withholding calculator.

  267. Tony mn on Thu, 20th Nov 2014 10:57 am
  268. I claimed 0 for 11 months out of the year and don’t want any taxes taken out for the last month. what do I claim? I plan on changing it back to zero in time for my first check of the year. need some extra cash. How do I go about this or is it even a good idea?
    Thank you in advance!

  269. Audra on Mon, 24th Nov 2014 3:34 am
  270. I am a single mother of 3, and work full time (40+/hrs/week). I am completely confused about what I should be claiming on my w-4, and by reading all of the previous comment/questions, I think that I will maybe break even when filing this year.
    For the entire time that I have worked at this job (April – what will be Dec), I have been claiming 4 on my w-4. But recently, I had a friend tell me that I would get more back on my return if I had only claimed 2. Is this true?

    As long as I don’t owe anything this year, I’ll be happy with that, however, I would like to plan on having a larger tax return for next year, what should I be claiming in order for that to happen?

    I currenly make, 27K/year (but only a little over 19K in 2014, because I only worked part of the year), and single parent with 3 dependents.
    Thanks, in advance.

  271. Jan Roberg on Sun, 7th Dec 2014 8:16 am
  272. Hi Audra,
    You’re doing just fine claiming 4 on your tax return. Yes, you’ll get a bigger refund if you only claim 2, but 4 is just fine for you. Because you have three children and your income is only $19K for this year, you’ll still qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit and that should give you a nice refund. Even next year when you’re earning 27K you’ll still qualify for EIC so that’s all good.
    So yes, you’ll get a bigger refund by withholding more, but you also want to make sure you get enough money every week to feed your family and pay the rent. Personally, I would stick with claiming 4 exemptions.
    Oh, and I do expect you to get a nice refund for 2014–so take a good chunk of that money and stick it in a savings account to help you save for a rainy day. (Gee, now I sound like my mother, but that’s really good advice so I’ll give her credit.) And remember to take a little bit of that money and do something nice for yourself too. I suspect that you’re the kind of mom that does everything for your kids, so I want to make sure you do something nice for yourself too.

  273. Jan Roberg on Sun, 7th Dec 2014 3:39 pm
  274. Hi Tony,
    You’re going to want to claim maybe 10 exemptions, and then switch it back for January.

    Now, you might want to claim 1 exemption. Unless you’re working two jobs–then you’ll want to keep it at zero, but if you’re only working one job at a time, and no one can claim you, you can probably get away with claiming one exemption. It will give you a little more money in your paycheck and you shouldn’t owe too much tax–you should about break even.

    Of course, if you want a refund, then stick with claiming single with zero exemptions.

  275. LP on Thu, 11th Dec 2014 8:17 am
  276. Hi, my son is a college student and will be doing a paid internship over winter break (about 4-5 weeks). Earlier this year he had a part-time job for about 7 months. We can’t recall what exemption he put on the W4 form for the previous part-time job and we’re now trying to figure out what he should put for this internship. Reading the info here it would seem like he should either do “single, zero deductions” or “exempt”. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!


  277. Jan Roberg on Sun, 28th Dec 2014 9:31 am
  278. Hi LP,
    For college students with internships, generally I recommend claiming single 0. That way, they’re covered if they make enough money for taxes. Also, if they didn’t make enough money to have any tax liability, then they get a refund. College students generally like getting refunds. (Okay, everybody likes refunds!)
    If you say “exempt” and they worked enough to have any kind of tax liability they’re going to owe. And I think for a college student to have to pay taxes is much worse than having a little withholding while working and getting a refund.

  279. Kristen on Sun, 28th Dec 2014 10:15 pm
  280. Hello, I am re entering the traditional workforce in sales at a new company tomorrow and need to fill out all the paperwork. In the beginning three months it is a ridiculously low pay and I need most all of the paycheck. I will be getting commissions after that and can even it out later and redo my w-4 later in the year. I dont care about owing in April, I just need to survive and get a jump start. It is a home office job and I will be using my car, so I will have those exemptions. I also pay the mortgage on my mothers house. Can I fill out my w-4 form with 8 exemptions. and does this number reflect both federal and state. thanks in advance

  281. Kristen on Sun, 28th Dec 2014 10:17 pm
  282. also, I am not sure paying my mothers mortgage (which is where I live) will qualify me for that deduction come tax time. I am guessing she would have to put me on the mortgage.

  283. Kristen on Mon, 29th Dec 2014 8:25 am
  284. Also, I see on the hiring portal — W4 tax withholding (Important Note: If you have state or local taxes, please contact to set up your additional tax withholdings) I live in Louisiana and I am sure we have state taxes. Do I contact payroll and set up the same number withholdings as I do with Federal to barely take any taxes out. Thanks again for your help!

  285. Jan Roberg on Wed, 31st Dec 2014 5:31 pm
  286. Hi Kristen,
    normally I don’t recommend claiming a bunch of exemptions to get a bigger pay check, but under your circumstances I think that’s exactly what you need to do. Just make sure you change your W4 once you start making some money. You can use the IRS W4 calculator to help you commensate for any tax you should have withheld earlier.
    And congratulations on the new job!

  287. Jan Roberg on Wed, 31st Dec 2014 5:31 pm
  288. @ Kristen again,
    You’re right, paying your mother’s mortgage won’t help you unless the house is yours.

  289. Jan Roberg on Wed, 31st Dec 2014 5:33 pm
  290. @ Kristen again,
    Sorry, I was reading the emails one at a time. I’d fill out the Louisiana form the same way as the federal.

  291. Mary on Fri, 2nd Jan 2015 10:11 am
  292. Hi Ive always been confused about taxes. I am a single mom of two, live in Arizona and have a full time job. I have recently changed it to 1 (which was recommended by a co-worker) but I don’t feel confident about that number, I make less than 30,000 a yr. Being single a mother I always worry about having to pay taxes. I do like a good refund at the end of the year but can never figure out what would be the correct number. Please Help! Thank You!

  293. Jan Roberg on Fri, 2nd Jan 2015 11:00 am
  294. Hi Mary,
    At less than $30,000 a year and being a mother of two, you should qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit which should really help you boost your refund. If I were you, I’d claim 3 exemptions, one of yourself plus two for your children. That should give you more in your take home pay — you gotta eat, right? And it should still give you a refund for 2015.

  295. Kayla on Tue, 6th Jan 2015 12:47 pm
  296. I’m always so confused about the W4 form. I’m married, both my husband I work (making less than 60,000 a year), & we just had a baby in December. I think previously we both filed the w4 as Married but withhold at a single rate. I make more than my husband. How should we both update our W4s now?

  297. Judy on Sun, 11th Jan 2015 11:51 am
  298. Hi,
    So, I live with my mother in law and my boyfriend whom I have 2 kids with. I did not get a chance to change my w-4 last year so I had exemption of 0. So, yes I understand my income was withheld more than an exemption of 1. Now my b.f will be filing head of household with 2 kids, the house and a car under his name with an unusual income of less than 30k a year. Long story short, the house is under his name because thats how his mom wanted it. Yet, she pays for our mortgage every month. He’s filed h.o.h for 2 years with no problem, but I understand at the end of the year his mom is screwed since she cannot claim the money she has paid towards the house. Now, my question is what is the best way to manage filing our taxes with such (what I feel) is a complicated situation. Would I be able to claim the children under myself? or at least 1? Should I change my exemptions to 2 for this year? Is it best for my b.f to claim the kids and everything else he can for tax deductions. I believe his exemptions is 2. So confused about everything, we file through turbotax for the past 5 years with no problem. Still single and not married but living under the same roof for almost 10 years. Our children are 1 and 5. HELP!!!!!

  299. Jan Roberg on Sun, 11th Jan 2015 4:53 pm
  300. Hi Kayla,
    W4s are confusing. I’m guessing that for you, you should claim 3 exemptions and your husband should still claim single zero. But, that’s a guess. Once you two get your first paychecks of the year, go to the IRS website and try the W4 withholding calculator. That will give you a pretty accurate withholding figure. Or, waiting until you’ve finished your taxes to be sure. But the IRS withholding calculator will be the most accurate way to figure your withholding.

  301. Jan Roberg on Sun, 11th Jan 2015 7:43 pm
  302. Hi Judy,
    I’ve got a blog post that was almost written just for you. Except, I would add one more scenario to the list. Have your boyfriend claim 1 child and head of household, and you claim the other child and claim single. Also, read the whole list of scenarios in the post about exes:

    The thing is, because you and your boyfriend are working together, you may as well figure your tax liability together and do what’s best for you as a family (even though you aren’t married.) After all this time, I’m pretty sure you are a family, right?

    Then, with the extra money you come up with by maximizing your refund, you can do something nice for his mom too. Everybody wins.

  303. Rachel on Wed, 14th Jan 2015 8:01 am
  304. Hi Jan,

    My husband and I currently both work and claim married but withold at a higher single rate with 1 allowance each. Last year we got a return of about $5,500. I would rather have more money each paycheck and thus want to change my allowances but am not sure what to do. In 2014 we bought a house and that is all that changed from 2013 to 2014. He works for the railroad and makes about 80k+ a year whereas I only make about 32k a year. Should we follow your “married and both spouses work” advice?

    Also, we live in Kansas City – should we keep the MO state withholding as married both spouses work with 1 allowance each?


  305. Lesli Brown on Thu, 15th Jan 2015 9:19 am
  306. Good Morning,
    Me and my husband recently got married and we want to update our W-4.
    Can we both file Married, at a higher rate and 0? We don’t have any kids, so its just us. We just don’t want to get fined or have to pay to the government at tax time.
    He makes $100,000 and I make $45,000.
    What is the best way to claim on our W-4s?

    Thank you

  307. Jan Roberg on Mon, 19th Jan 2015 8:34 pm
  308. Hi Rachel,
    It sounds like you’ve got a good refund coming for this year too. I think that the best thing is to use the IRS withholding calculator. Wait until you file your tax return and use the information on it to get the most accurate answer.

    The IRS calculator will help you set your withholding so that your refund will be zero, If you want to have a bit of a refund, then you you’ll claim fewer exemptions than what the IRS calculator says you should claim.

  309. Jan Roberg on Mon, 19th Jan 2015 9:03 pm
  310. Hi Lesli, I’m going to give you the same advice that I gave to Rachel. Use the IRS withholding calculator. Although I think you’ll be safe if you both claim married, but withhold at the higher single rate with zero exemptions, you can probably take more money home in your paychecks and get a lower refund if you adjust your withholding.

  311. Lesli Brown on Tue, 20th Jan 2015 10:17 am
  312. Thank you so much for your time and help :)

  313. Mariana P on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 9:50 am
  314. Hello,
    I am 20 years old and am currently a college student, my mom will claim me. in 2014 I worked 3 different jobs, However during the summer I worked 2 jobs. Then I got a new job where I made more money so I quit and just worked at the new job. When I filled out my W2 form for my new job I made the mistake of putting 1 dependent. on my previous 2 jobs I put zero dependents. because I put 1 dependent on my new job, will this mean that we will owe taxes when we file this year?
    Thank you,

  315. worried on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 9:55 am
  316. I am 21 years old and a college student. Ive been at a job where ive been working 30 plus hours a week getting paid 10 an hour. My mom does claim me. When the new year came I filled out a new w2 form and read the form wrong and wrote exempt on the form. when I received my first pay check after the new w2 form was summited I noticed that no federal taxes were taken out. I knew it was a mistake so I resubmitted another form that did not say exempt on it. Since It was only one pay check and I fixed the problem will I be liable to pay those taxes on this pay check when my mom and I file next year?

  317. Joel on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 11:02 am
  318. I have 4 kids and I started claiming exempt about 6 years ago because I was getting a refund every year. When I read my employer’s W4 form, it says ” I claim exemption from withholding for the year 2015 and I certify that I meet BOTH of the following conditions for exemption: 1. Last year I had a right to a refund of ALL Federal income tax withheld because I had NO tax liability and 2. This year I expect a refund of ALL Federal income tax withheld because I expect to have NO tax liability.” Because of my child tax credits and mortgage interest and charitable contributions, I end up getting a refund every year. I don’t want the IRS to hold my money all year long, just to get a larger refund. Is it okay that I am claiming exempt? Could I get into trouble with the IRS for this? Am I reading the verbiage correctly?

  319. Jan Roberg on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 8:11 pm
  320. Hi Mariana,
    You should have your W2s any day now. Just file your taxes and you’ll know for certain if you owe or not. That’s much better than me guessing without any numbers.

  321. Jan Roberg on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 8:13 pm
  322. Hi Worried,
    Since you only claimed exempt on one paycheck and then fixed it, you should be fine. Don’t lose any sleep over it.

  323. Jan Roberg on Thu, 22nd Jan 2015 8:17 pm
  324. Hi Joel,
    There’s a big difference between getting a big refund and having no tax liability. But, if you have been claiming exempt and still get a refund (child tax credit I’m guessing) then you’re okay. If you look at line 63 of your tax return and it’s zero–you’re okay.

  325. Confused Soul on Sun, 25th Jan 2015 11:03 pm
  326. Hi,

    As I am looking at my W2 for a job I started on May of 2014, it seems I filed 1 for state and 0 for federal, what does this mean? Will I end up paying money back?

  327. Ann on Mon, 26th Jan 2015 11:10 am
  328. Quick question. As an employer, can an employee file with 99 allowances to avoid state taxes coming out. Not filing “exempt” but with 99 allowances?

  329. Sandy on Thu, 29th Jan 2015 10:47 am
  330. I am married and am claiming married but at single rate. Now that my husband is retired should i change this to married?

  331. Jennifer on Thu, 29th Jan 2015 5:17 pm
  332. Hello my name is Jennifer and I have three jobs. I got my W-2 for all three and when I do them separately it shows I recieve money back but when I put them all together it states I owe sooo much money. I don’t understand why please help.

  333. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Feb 2015 1:02 pm
  334. Hi Confused,
    I can’t tell how your tax return will turn out. But–for what it’s worth, if you claim one exemption, and that’s your only job, and you’re not a teenager being claimed by your parents, you’re probably just fine.

    Claiming one exemption means that you’re claiming yourself as an exemption on your tax return and no one else. Usually, if that’s the case, and that’s your only job, and you’re claiming the standard deduction, you should break even on your tax return

    If you have lots of deductions, or claim kids, then you’ll probably have a refund.

    If you have multiple jobs at the same time, you could still wind up owing because they’re only withholding based on the lower income.

    I always claim zero exemptions for the state on my W4 because I always seem to owe the state if I don’t do that. (But my taxes will be different from yous–it’s just what I do for me.)

    Bottom line, if you tax return seems fair and balanced, keep your exemptions the way you’ve got them now. If your refund was too large–then increase your exemptions. If your refund was too small, or you owed–then decrease your exemptions. (Or, in the case of your state where you claimed zero exemptions, you can always ask to withhold a little extra.)

  335. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Feb 2015 1:04 pm
  336. Hi Ann,
    Yes, they can. It’s a little bit of overkill. You could figure out how many exemptions to claim for the employee to have zero state withholding, but I’m pretty sure 99 exemptions would do the trick.

    You might want to remind him that he will wind up having to pay the state eventually though if he doesn’t withhold enough.

  337. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Feb 2015 1:06 pm
  338. Hi Sandy,
    It all depends upon what kind of retirement income he’s getting and how much withholding he’s going to have. I would do the IRS withholding calculator. Use your last pay stub and his retirement paystub. Make sure you include the social security income too. That will give you a good number to work with as far as your withholding.

  339. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Feb 2015 1:09 pm
  340. Hi Jennifer,
    You’e the perfect example of what happens when you have three jobs. Each job is doing your withholding based upon you only having the one job. But, combined, your income puts you in a higher tax bracket. But you’re only withholdling for the lower tax bracket. I bet you got hit with a nasty balance due surprise.

    Once again, I’m going to suggest the IRS withholding calculator. In your case, you’re probably going to need to withhold at the single, zero rate plus have extra taken out to cover your taxes. The IRS calculator will give you accurate numbers.

  341. Marcella on Mon, 2nd Feb 2015 7:13 pm
  342. My husband and I both claim 0 for our allowances on taxes. I actually made more than him in 2014 by about 2,000, but paid into federal taxes much less, about 5,000. How and why would that happen? We both only work 1 job and we are having to pay in for our taxes when both claiming 0??

  343. Casey on Thu, 5th Feb 2015 8:23 am
  344. I am married we file joint with 3 kids all under 18. One going to daycare. We both have jobs. We have been getting back around $4,000 every year. I think he claims 2 or 3 dependents. I claim ) married at high single rate. How could we change it on mine so I get a ftter paycheck, but still get a good refund? We make $66,000 together

  345. Casey on Thu, 5th Feb 2015 9:28 am
  346. sorry I meant to mention that I claim 0 also

  347. LaJuan L on Fri, 6th Feb 2015 9:13 am
  348. Why is it that the spouse with the higher paying job is the one to claim all the exemptions? Wouldn’t the spouse with the lower income want the exemptions to get a bigger paycheck? Sorry for the dumb questions.

  349. Jan Roberg on Sun, 8th Feb 2015 9:55 am
  350. Hi Marcella,
    I’m guessing that you paid less because you were withholding as married and he withheld as single. (That’s my guess.)
    Because your incomes kick you into a higher tax bracket, you should probably both claim withholding as single zero. But the best thing is to go to the IRS withholding calculator and you’ll get a really good number instead of a guess.

  351. Jan Roberg on Sun, 8th Feb 2015 4:16 pm
  352. Hi Casey,
    go to the IRS withholding calculator. Use your pay stubs and your tax return and it will help you calculate your W4 to get your refund to zero. If you want a bigger refund, claim fewer exemptions than what the calculator tells you to claim.

  353. Jan Roberg on Sun, 8th Feb 2015 4:21 pm
  354. Hi Lajuan,
    That’s not a dumb question at all.

    When I use the “higher earning spouse” vs “lower earning spouse” I’m assuming that the money is shared between them and all is good. But, if money isn’t always a “comfortable” subject, maybe the lower earning spouse does want more of her income. And it would be fairer for her to keep more of it.

    But it’s just easier to figure it that way I said it.

    You can refigure the exemptions any way you want so long as you withhold enough taxes together. (Once again I’m going to point to the IRS withholding calculator.)

    You don’t have to have the lower earning spouse claim zero–it’s just the easier solution. But it’s not the only solution.

  355. Ashleigh on Tue, 10th Feb 2015 10:07 am
  356. Hello Jan
    Needing some advice on how my husband and I should fill out our w4s!
    We are both working — I have the higher income, his is a little lower. We have a baby on the way. Until the baby comes I feel like I should be MARRIED and 2. And he should be Married, but withheld at a higher single rate and O. When the baby comes, should he keep his the same, and I then change mine to MARRIED and 3?
    We prefer to have our taxes break even: getting the most out of our paycheck now, without having to pay the IRS come tax season.

    Thanks for the help!

  357. James on Thu, 12th Feb 2015 7:37 am
  358. Hello, I’m updating my w-4 to allow me to get more out of each paycheck since like most I’m living paycheck to paycheck :( And now with the added cost of the health care it really hit me in the pocket. I’m single, 42 and rent my house, trying to figure out what allowances to claim? Claim myself, single or head of household or all 3? so confused, want to get more in my check to make up for the health care cost since my allowances are 0 now, hoping to increase my check up a bit again but really don’t want to owe at the end of the year either.

    thank you

  359. AJ on Fri, 13th Feb 2015 3:57 pm
  360. I filled out a W-4 for my new job and noticed that federal was not being taken out. I have 5 on line H. I’m a single mother of 1 child and have been filing head of household. What did I do wrong?

  361. Tim on Tue, 17th Feb 2015 7:10 pm
  362. Hello, I am a divorced father of 3, my kids live with me all year, so I claim head of household with 3 dependents every year on my taxes. I just retired from the military and am currently looking for a job. Started getting my retirement check from the military and noticed I am showing 0 exemptions for fed taxes..I would definitely like to get a little more in my check every month so could I not claim at least 1 if not 2 or 3? Obviously I still want to make sure I pay enough into taxes, it would just be nice to get a little more take home every month…

  363. Brittney on Thu, 19th Feb 2015 12:06 pm
  364. Hi I’m brittney, I was wondering what can I do about this, I been on my job for about a year and when I filled my w4 out I had out $15 I wanted to be taken out every week out of my paycheck. So anyway when I got my w2 form back a few weeks ago I seen that they had put that I had 15 for my exemptions, which I did not, so no taxes at all we’re taken out for the whole year of 2014, so now I’m a have to pay that which is not fair because of their mishap and I’ve approached about this matter and they are not doing anything about it and say it’s nothing they can do. Thats ludicrous when they filed my paperwork wrong in the first place and didn’t pay attention to detail!! It’s their fault they should be able to do something, I shouldn’t have to get penalized for it.
    What can I do, How else can I go about this?

  365. jessicA on Sat, 21st Feb 2015 6:40 am
  366. Hi I found out that I have two exemptions on my w4 but I don’t have kids it has to be a typo.. how do I fix this is it too late? It’s causing problems when I try to prepare my taxes

  367. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:05 am
  368. Hi Ashleigh,
    Since the baby will be born in 2015 you can go ahead and adjust your withholding now. The best is to use the withholding estimator on the IRS website, but I think you claiming Married with 3 and him claiming Single with zero might be pretty close.

  369. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:06 am
  370. Hi James,
    It sounds to me like you’re single with one exemption.

  371. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:07 am
  372. Hi AJ,
    I’m guessing that claiming 5 exemptions is keeping any federal tax from being withheld. My gut says 3 at the most, but if you qualify for EIC, then maybe you donn’t need that much. Go check out the withholding calculator on the IRS website to be sure.

  373. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:10 am
  374. Hi Tim,
    It makes sense to claim your exemptions on your retirement income. If you have other income in addition to your retirement money, you should go to the IRS withhodling calculator. If you don’t, you can use the same number of exemptions that you’ve been using since that seems to work for you.

  375. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:14 am
  376. Hi Brittany,
    You’re not the first person that’s happened to and you’re certainly not going to be the last. Here’s the part you’re not going to like–the IRS doesn’t care. I’m sorry.
    Now, if it’s really the employer’s fault, some employers try to help you with that. But many won’t. Now, here’s my question-why didn’t you look at your pay stub?

    You see, when you got your very first pay check, didn’t you notice that they didn’t take an extra $15 out? Seriously. You got extra money to take home all year long and you never once looked at your pay stub? Not once?

    If you had, back then, you could have said something to your employer and they could have fixed it. But since you didn’t, how can you blame them for a whole year of bad withholdling.

    Sorry, but some of the blame is on you and you’re going to have to pay your taxes.

  377. Jan Roberg on Sun, 1st Mar 2015 11:17 am
  378. Hi Jessica,
    If you find that you owe this year, switch your exemptions down to 1 (or zero if necessary.)
    People claim exemptions for things besides kids, like a mortgage or other deductions. If you don’t owe, there’s no problem. If you owe, then adjust your W4 for 2015. That’s all.

  379. Dave on Fri, 24th Apr 2015 3:47 pm
  380. Hello,

    I have a wife and five children (18, 16, 11, 9 and 4).

    I’ve been claiming zero exemptions on my fed taxes (TX is my home of record, so no state tax).

    I have an 18 year old still living at home, working part time, starting college.

    I make around $75K annually, no other income, no investments, spouse does not work.

    I noticed that my return is getting smaller each year: should I consider changing what I am claiming and/or anything else on my taxes for next year, in order to maximize my potential return?

    Any advise is appreciated; thanks.



  381. Sheela on Tue, 28th Apr 2015 6:30 pm
  382. Hi, I am getting a refund this year. I claim head of household and am a single mom.
    I am going to change the number of claimants from 7 to 8 on my W4. Any thoughts.

  383. Ewa on Tue, 5th May 2015 7:46 pm
  384. Hi Jan,

    I am a single mom of one living with my parents and looking to move out soon since I will be starting a new job which will bring me up to 73K. My daughter lives with me and I pay for her expenses and medical insurance, i do get help from her father every 2 weeks. I wanted to know what would be the optimal number fo allowances to claim in order to get the most out of my check and still get a little something from the tax return. At my current job i claim 1, should i still claim one or two for both her and i?

    Thank you in advance,

  385. Yo on Wed, 6th May 2015 2:33 pm
  386. Hi,

    I recently bought a house, I’m single and head of household. Boyfriend lives with me and he helps with half of everything. Should I put Single and 3 allowances? One for myself, single and head of household ?

    Also what should my boyfriend put if he is not the head of household ? Single and 1 allowance for himself?


  387. Jan Roberg on Sun, 10th May 2015 7:34 pm
  388. Hi Sheela,
    it’s so hard to comment on that without any additional information. Basically though, if your refund was $1000 or more, then I think you’re okay. If your refund was less, then you might want to reconsider. But that’s a really,really rough guideline. Your best bet is to use the IRS withholding calculator.

  389. student/mom/employee on Fri, 15th May 2015 8:45 am
  390. Hello,

    I had a child in August of 2014. I live with my boyfriend and we share an apartment with my mom. We pay rent for our own room and do not depend on my mom or his parents for anything. I will be 21 this month and am a full time college student. I work 20 hrs a week during the semester and 40 hrs a week during the summer/winter break. He works full time and does not go to school so he makes more money than me (he makes the same as my mom). He is authorized to work under DACA. How many allowances should I claim. How many should he claim? Last year I made more money than him as he didn’t work for the majority of the year and when he did he was paid in cash so I claimed our son as a dependent. We didn’t have any issues. My mom and I filed our taxes at the same place so our applications wouldn’t have any discrepancies. I will be starting a new job in June and want to fill out my w4 correctly. Thanks!

  391. Jan Roberg on Sun, 17th May 2015 9:02 am
  392. Hi Ewa,
    Most likely, you’re going to be fine claiming 2 exemptions. You can always try the IRS withholding calculator, but claiming 2 should be just fine for you.

  393. Jan Roberg on Sun, 17th May 2015 9:08 am
  394. Hi Dave,
    (Sorry I’ve got you out of order here.) You’ve been claiming zero exemptions and you’ve got a non-working wife and some kids. Your refund has been getting smaller because your oldest child has aged out of the $1000 child tax credit. Your 16 year old will age out this year. (It ends at 17.)
    There’s nothing you’re doing wrong, the kids are growing up. Now if the 18 year old goes to college in 2015, then you’ve got a chance at qualifying for the American Opportunity Tax credit. It’s worth up to $2500. (No–it doesn’t make up for how much tuition costs, but it sure helps.)
    But if you’re looking for a big refund, you’re already doing the right thing by claiming zero exemptions. You could withhold more, but I think you’d be better off taking whatever extra you’d withhold and sticking in a bank account – but that’s my opinion. You do what makes the most sense for you.

  395. Jan Roberg on Sun, 17th May 2015 9:14 am
  396. Hi Yo,
    You are not head of household in the eyes of the IRS. You are single. Your boyfriend is single. You should each claim one exemption.

    Now, after you file your 2015 tax return, if you have a large refund, then I would adjust it to account for the fact that you’ve got a mortgage and real estate taxes. But a first year home owner is wise to keep her exemptions the same as what they were before buying the house. Often, the first year of home ownership doesn’t have the tax impact the realtor told you it would. So it’s better to be safe than sorry.

  397. Jan Roberg on Sun, 17th May 2015 9:31 am
  398. Dear Student/Mom/Employee,
    It’s hard to tell. I would send you to the IRS withholding calculator, but to be honest, your circumstances might not give you the best answer. Here’s the link anyway:

    I think that you’re smart to file your taxes at the same time to make sure that whatever you are claiming all works out. I’m assuming that either you or your boyfriend are claiming your child–but you may have the option of allowing your mother to claim the child if she makes more than you and your boyfriend in 2015. (It’s an option only. Not something you have to do.)

    Since you’re not married, either you or your boyfriend could claim your child. It would depend on who would qualify for the most EIC. And it might even be possible for your mom to claim you – even though you’re working, since you’re a college student.

    (Full disclosure here, it sounds like a pain in the behind for you and I’m thinking “Oh, this sounds fun!”)

    My safety suggestion is: have everybody claim single and 1 exemption. I call that the safety filing because nobody is going to suffer too much if anything goes wrong. There’s enough withholding and no one should get burned if relationships go sour, etc.

    If you want to maximize current income, and still play it fairly safe, I would have you – student/mom/employee – claim 3 exemptions, and boyfriend still claim only 1. Even if you wind up having him claim the child, he can pay any tax you owe with the refund he gets from claiming your child.

    But remember, I’m shooting from the hip here. It’s not scientific or anything. You might even be able to claim more exemptions, but I like to be more conservative when it comes to withholding.

  399. Brooke on Thu, 21st May 2015 3:23 am
  400. Hi I’m 22 years old and just got a part time seasonal job for the summer and when filling out my w4’s I claimed 0. My parents still claim me but I’m wondering if I should change it to 1 or keep it at 0? What would you suggest to do and can I still change it? Thanks!

  401. Betsy on Fri, 22nd May 2015 2:46 pm
  402. Hello,

    I am not sure if my W-4 is filled out correctly. I recieve a W-2, but my husband receives a 1099 since he is self employed. We have 2 children and currently my W-2 is filled out as Married withhold at single rate and 0 exemptions. I’m trying to make sure I have more taxes withheld to help us out at the end of the year when we have to pay our taxes, but want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

    Thank you in advance for your help.


  403. student/mom/employee on Fri, 22nd May 2015 3:33 pm
  404. Previous post: Hello,

    I had a child in August of 2014. I live with my boyfriend and we share an apartment with my mom. We pay rent for our own room and do not depend on my mom or his parents for anything. I will be 21 this month and am a full time college student. I work 20 hrs a week during the semester and 40 hrs a week during the summer/winter break. He works full time and does not go to school so he makes more money than me (he makes the same as my mom). He is authorized to work under DACA. How many allowances should I claim. How many should he claim? Last year I made more money than him as he didn’t work for the majority of the year and when he did he was paid in cash so I claimed our son as a dependent. We didn’t have any issues. My mom and I filed our taxes at the same place so our applications wouldn’t have any discrepancies. I will be starting a new job in June and want to fill out my w4 correctly. Thanks!

    Reply to your comment:
    My mother is undocumented so I am not sure it’s a good idea for her to claim me or my son? I would like to maximize my earnings. I checked my boyfriend’s pay stubs and he has 2 allowances and I have been working with 2 as well. Should I do 1 or 2 or 3 and ask him to change his to 1?

  405. Jan Roberg on Sat, 23rd May 2015 11:01 am
  406. Hi Brooke,
    I think you filled out your W4 just right. Single with zero exemptions. I wouldn’t change a thing.

  407. Jan Roberg on Sat, 23rd May 2015 11:04 am
  408. Hi Betsy,
    I think you’re also just right. It’s harder to tell when you’ve got a spouse who has 1099 income, but withholding at the highest amount is certainly a step in the right direction. Of course, if your husband is making a lot of money with his 1099 job, you may still need to make estimated tax payments. It’s hard to tell without more information, but you’re at least taking a step in the right direction
    You might want to stash a little extra money in the bank as well to make sure you have enough for his self employment taxes just to be on the safe side.

  409. Ali on Sun, 24th May 2015 8:30 pm
  410. If my husband and I want to get a large amount of money from tax season, is putting 0 a good idea? We have already figured out that we will be living just fine without the extra help every paycheck.

  411. Jan Roberg on Mon, 25th May 2015 8:22 pm
  412. Hi Ali,
    The best way to get a large refund is to claim zero exemptions on your W4, AND you should claim married but withholding at the higher single rate.

  413. Ariel on Mon, 8th Jun 2015 10:39 pm
  414. My parents claim me. Im single with 1 job. I make $27000 a year. Should i claim zero allowance or 1? Which is more beneficial and WHY? Thanks.

  415. Jan Roberg on Sun, 14th Jun 2015 9:51 am
  416. Hi Ariel,
    If your parents are claiming you as a dependent, then you’ll want to claim zero exemptions – that should make your tax return show a zero balance due next year.

    But, you’re making $27,000 a year–so, my first thought is why are your parents claiming you? As you still in college? Are you under age 23?

    Generally I don’t see a lot of students making as much as you are (some, just not many) so I start to wonder about the whole support issue?

    So, if your parents are legally still allowed to claim you–choose zero exemptions. That way you will withhold more money to cover the tax deduction of claiming your own exemption.

    If your parents can’t claim you–then you should be claiming one exemption, which would increase your paycheck slightly because your tax liability will be a little smaller.

  417. Krystal on Wed, 17th Jun 2015 9:53 am
  418. Hi,

    I recently started a temp job (with the possibility of it becoming a permanent job later). My husband is in the military and previously was the only one who worked, and has the higher income between the 2 of us.

    However, his place a residence is still listed as TX since he’s in the military and they don’t have state taxes. We recently got stationed in CO, which does have state taxes, and I am going to have to file state as well as federal taxes because of this job. We were thinking of just filing as ‘Married: filing separate’ come tax time this year to help with this.

    When I first filled out my W4 form, I didn’t really understand it but I put down 2 for the with holding exceptions for federal and state. Was that right?

    Thank you for you help.

  419. Jan Roberg on Sun, 21st Jun 2015 1:37 pm
  420. Hi Krystal,
    I would put down Married with zero exemptions for both. I think that’s your best bet.

  421. Miranda on Fri, 26th Jun 2015 10:00 am
  422. Hi Jan,

    I am engaged but we are not getting married until next June (2016). I have one full time job and on very part time contract position. What should I claim for exemptions as I prefer to get a little back at the end of the year and, can I claim Head of household? If so, does this benefit me?

    Thank you,

  423. ericka on Sun, 5th Jul 2015 9:20 am
  424. Hi i am a single head of household mom with 4 kids. I only claim 2 cuz their dad claims the other two. I have no taxes withholding from my checks i make $9hr and i get maybe 70hrs every 2weeks. Its a struggle takin care of my kids with what i make now ao yes i do need my refund. Will i have to owe come tax season . Cause i cant afford to have to pay ss and medi is already takin from my checks just no tax withheld. What should i do.

  425. Jan Roberg on Sun, 5th Jul 2015 7:19 pm
  426. Hi Ericka,
    It sounds to me like between your exemptions and the EIC that you won’t have any tax debt so no having any withholding if fine for you.

    It used to be that you could claim your EIC in advance with your paycheck, but that was discontinued several years ago. You’re a good example of someone who could really benefit from that program.

  427. Jan Roberg on Sun, 5th Jul 2015 7:49 pm
  428. Hi Miranda,
    Why would you claim head of household? To you have a child? If not, then forget about head of household.
    Since you have two jobs, I recommend using the IRS withholding calculator:

    That’s the most accurate tool for determining withholding. If you want a refund, claim fewer allowances than the IRS tells you to.

    My gut is to say claim single and 1 exemption for the first job and single zero exemptions for the second job. But that’s shooting from the hip and I could be way off base there.

    Make the extra effort to use the withholding calculator and get a good number to work with, I’d hate to have you wind up owing the IRS right before your wedding.

  429. Roger on Mon, 6th Jul 2015 1:27 pm
  430. Hi Jan,

    I stumbled upon this site and it is very helpful. I appreciate the time you take to answer the questions asked.

    I am a newlywed and we are planning on filing jointly. Her salary is higher than mine, her gross income is 59000 and mine is 49000. Will we be in a different tax bracket? What should our W4 look like?

    Thank you

  431. Jonathan on Tue, 7th Jul 2015 3:21 am
  432. I’m still 17 but turn 18 this year on sept.5th and will be attending college and have a for sure job when school starts, will my parents still be able to claim me of their taxes when I start the job? They have payed for my classes already and soon my books too.

  433. Joanna V on Tue, 7th Jul 2015 1:24 pm
  434. Hello….I am married with 2 kids ages 7 and 10. Both my husband I and work, but I have the higher paying job. This year we did not receive a tax refund and owed $4K in taxes. What should I be claiming on my W4 to insure the max amount is taken out of my paycheck so that we do not owe money next tax period? Married, zero allowances? Married, zero allowances but withhold at a higher, single rate?

  435. Kati on Wed, 8th Jul 2015 1:10 pm
  436. Hi I had a question about weather or not I could claim exemption on my W-4 for the 2015 tax year.

    In 2014 I was unemployed with no income, received no government assistance (welfare, unemployment, etc.,) and didn’t file nor receive any tax returns. Also I’m almost positive no one claimed me as a dependent.

    Now when I go to file for this coming year in 2016 should I change my current forms to claim the exemption since I didn’t file or receive any refunds?

    Thanks for the help everyone I tried looking online and calling the IRS but either can’t get through or can’t find the answer I’m looking for. Thanks!

  437. Jan Roberg on Sat, 11th Jul 2015 11:19 pm
  438. Hi Kati,
    I don’t think that you should claim “Exempt”, I think you should claim one exemption. I realize that you didn’t have to file last year, but I’m hoping that you’re going to make enough to need to pay tax. (Sounds weird but I want you to make money, not be poor.)
    Claim one. Don’t claim “exempt”. I think that’s going to be the best thing for you.

  439. Jan Roberg on Sat, 11th Jul 2015 11:42 pm
  440. Hi Joanna V,
    I’m thinking that you’ll need to withhold at the higher single rate with zero exemptions. But it’s already July so you’ve already missed out on half a year’s withholding. I recommend you go to the IRS withholding calculator and see where you stand. You might need to withhold extra if you don’t want to have a balance due.

  441. Jan Roberg on Sat, 11th Jul 2015 11:44 pm
  442. Hi Jonathan,
    Yes, your parents will still be able to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. So–if you’re working, you should claim Single with zero exemptions.

  443. Jan Roberg on Sat, 11th Jul 2015 11:59 pm
  444. Hi Roger,
    Yes, you and your bride will be in a higher tax bracket. I suggest you prepare a dummy tax return using your old W2s to see how it looks.
    You can go to the IRS withholding calculator to get a really good picture of how you should change your withholding. My gut reaction is for her to claim married with 2 exemptions and you claim married but withhold at the higher single rate with zero exemptions – but since we’re halfway through the tax year, that might not be enough. That’s why I think you need to check out the IRS withholding calculator to see how things look. You could quite possibly be fine since I’m guessing you’re both still withholding at the single rate.

  445. arie on Mon, 13th Jul 2015 1:10 pm
  446. Hello so my situation is, i resigned from my job of almost 5 years last year 2014. My husband then filed exempt and claimed my 3 children(at the time) and myself and under head of household and married (whereas before we would file married and seperate). I went back to work in april of this year and when i filled out all my w4 i put exempt too. My husband still has all of us under his dependants and i had another child this year. What should i do? Should i keep my w4 as is and claim my newborn or have my husband take all of us and keep both our checks exempt?

  447. Chelsea on Wed, 22nd Jul 2015 5:14 pm
  448. So, I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for 5 years. My boyfriend, not husband, has claimed me and our 3 children each year and always received a substantial refund, as we like it. However, I’m about to start a new job making much less than him (but enough to help) and am curious how to complete my w4. I understand if we were married I would claim 0 and have him claim all of us but since we are not married, is it any different? We also had our 4th son and bought a home this year but he is still worried my small income will affect our return. Please advise. Thank you!

  449. Chelsea on Wed, 22nd Jul 2015 5:18 pm
  450. Oh. I also don’t know if it makes a difference that two of our four children are mine with my ex-husband but they live with us full time. Can he still claim my kids if he doesn’t claim me? Thank you!

  451. Laura on Wed, 22nd Jul 2015 11:06 pm
  452. Hi Jan,

    I’m single and just switched from 1 full time job to 2 jobs that equal a little more that what I was making before. The income from the two jobs keeps me in the same tax bracket. I had claimed 2 previously and have received decent refunds back the last several year (I think due to student loan interest). Should I continue to have the same number of exemptions even though I have 2 jobs? And do I claim the same number of exemptions at both jobs? I’d prefer to not be having too much withheld.

    Thanks for you help!

    – Laura

  453. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Jul 2015 4:29 pm
  454. Hi Arie,
    If you claim exempt, then there will be no tax withheld from your paycheck. So, if you’re really poor, that might be okay, but if you’re more middle class, you could have a serious problem at tax time. I recommend using the IRS withholding calculator and see where you stand. It sounds to me like your husband has had not withholding all year. If you normally qualify for a bunch of EIC, that might be okay, but if you have any kind of tax liability, you might wind up with a balance due and that could hurt.

  455. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Jul 2015 4:34 pm
  456. Ah Chelsea,
    You may just have the best of both worlds. You are not married to the father of your children. You income will be smaller. You may be able to claim your children for a higher tax refund than your boyfriend can.
    What you’re going to want to do at tax time is prepare your taxes a couple of different ways, you claim one, he claim three, you each claim two, etc.
    Since you are clearly a family unit, you’ll go for the tax situation that gives your family the largest combined refund.
    I’m thinking that he will claim “head of household” as he earns more. But you can freely switch around who claims what dependents. (Within reason.)
    I’m not seeing this a hurting your family, but as “opening up possibilities.”
    Good luck with your new job. Oh–I’d claim 1 exemption. That way, you’ve covered yourself in case you wind up claiming no children.

  457. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Jul 2015 4:37 pm
  458. Oh Chelsea, update:
    Since two of the children are yours from a previous marriage, only you can claim those kids for EIC. I’m guessing that your income will be low and that you will qualify for EIC (at least this year since you’re only working half a year.) So, I’m 90% positive that you’ll wind up claiming those two. But, I don’t know all the facts, so still claim 1 exemption, just in case.

  459. Jan Roberg on Sun, 26th Jul 2015 4:39 pm
  460. Hi Laura,
    If you claim two exemptions for both jobs, then you won’t have withheld enough. It’s because each job treats your withholding like you only had that one job, but when you file your taxes, your income will be doubled. So, most likely you’ll want to claim zero exemptions on each job.
    You can always go to the IRS withholding calculator to double check.

Tell me what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!


© 2015 Roberg Tax Solutions

12747 Olive Blvd Ste 300, Saint Louis, MO 63141 | Telephone 314-872-2111

Website Designed By Indigo Image